New Years Revelation

by Linsey Lanier

Happy New Year, everyone! And welcome to our month-long anniversary party.

What did I learn while I was on vacation over the holidays? That if I could stay at home all day, I’d spend most of my time marketing and wouldn’t get any more writing done than I normally do. Sigh.

I really meant to write more. But every time I sat down at my computer, I was tempted by Twitter, fascinated by Facebook, beguiled by blogs, and enthralled by email (how many Yahoo groups am I a member of now?)

Okay, enough silly alliteration. What am I going to do about it? Ah, a New Year’s resolution!

And so my New Year’s resolution (or revelation) for 2012 is…WRITE MORE (I NEED to WRITE MORE). Duh! As an Indie pubbed author, putting out books is my lifeline.

And while I was out surfing the Net in 2011, I came across these screaming reminders of that fact:

J.A. Konrath, in one of my favorite posts of his, Are You Writing? says:

“I’ve got some bad news for you.

Right now, you’re reading one of the most relevant, controversial, popular, and opinionated blogs about the world of publishing, and it is an epic fail on your part.”

He’s so cute. But why it is an epic fail? Because, Konrath goes on to explain, he’s got over 40 books out (more now), other top indie sellers have 11, 20, or more. That’s why they are successful and indies with fewer books–not so much. I’d better get busy.

And then there’s this kicker by Lee Tobin McClain in The Key to Success: Write More! “Artistic and scientific achievers from Picasso to Da Vinci didn’t succeed more, percentage-wise, than other now-unknown creators of their eras; they simply produced more, and thus had more successes.”

That post is an eye-opener. I recommend checking it out. (To those of you who are not writers, note that McClain’s statement applies not only to the other arts, but to anything you want to do well, especially any highly competitive field. Like blogging.)

And finally, courtesy of Dean Wesley Smith, the first two of Robert Heinlein’s Business Rules:

1) You must write.

2) You must finish what you write.

Check out the above post for the rest of the rules.

So you won’t be seeing me much on Facebook and Tweeter during the first part of the 2012. Instead (barring the unforeseen), I’ll be working on these projects:

• The third book in the Miranda’s Rights Mysteries series – Are wedding bells in store for Miranda and Parker?
  • Finish the final revision of Chicago Cop (A Mystery) – A police thriller featuring GUTS team lead Lieutenant Maggie Delaney, a tough cop searching for meaning in her life.
  • A new, humorous paranormal romance about a factory worker who gets coerced into becoming an international assassin.

So what will you be doing this year? What books will you be reading or writing?

Leave a comment and in honor of our anniversary, I’ll pick a winner to receive both a $5 Amazon gift card and a free copy of SOMEONE ELSE’S DAUGHTER (A Miranda’s Rights Mystery) on Smashwords.

Jane - January 9, 2012 - 12:25 am

I’ve been meaning to try YA and I think I might finally pick some up this year. I might start with Suzanne Collins’ “Hunger Games.” I do want to read it before the movie comes out.

Mary Preston - January 9, 2012 - 3:45 am

I’d like to branch out with my reading this year. Not even new genres particularly, but expanding my list of authors.

Sandra Elzie - January 9, 2012 - 6:37 am

Hi Linsey,
My author list of must reads grows every year. When I went to Nationals I received boxes of free books and I’ve been reading some of them. I recently read Under the Mistletoe by Linda Howard and I’ve been reading some new Indie authors as well. I really enjoyed Stephanie Queen (Between a Rock and A Mad Woman)

Marilyn Baron - January 9, 2012 - 7:28 am

Linsey,
Some great advice. I want to write more this year. Marketing is very time consuming and often writing takes a back seat, so reminding yourself of why you got into this business (love of writing) is important. Jane, I just tried the YA Hunger Games and loved it. You will be hooked. I can’t wait to get the other two books in the Trilogy. I am going to be paying more attention to YA. I find that the more I read the more inspired I am to write.

Maxine Davis - January 9, 2012 - 7:59 am

Linsey,
Thank you for a very timely reminder. I would get upset every time I heard a stay-at-home person say, “I don’t know how I had time to work.” Now that I’m a stay-at-home person, guess what – that’s true to a point. Actually, I do more during the day than I did in the evening and usually take more time doing it. I no longer have all my underwear tinted some wierd color from grabbing an armload of “everything” and dumping it in the washer.

The Internet has been a time-waster for me (hate to admit that), but I now allow myself a set amount of time to check everything and more time writing. Let’s hope by March I’m still saying this!

Hapy writing and/OR reading everyone!

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 8:07 am

Sounds like you’ll have a good year, Jane. I hear Hunger Games is really good. Thanks for commenting.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 8:12 am

Mary, that sounds like fun. We’d be honored for you to try some of our Petit Four and Hot Tamale authors. You can see some of our books in the slideshow in the sidebar.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 8:12 am

Hi Sandy. Linda Howard is just fantastic. “Between a Rock and A Mad Woman” is on my Kindle… Okay, I’ve just added “read more” to my resolution list. :)

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 8:13 am

Very true, Marilyn. Reading always inspires me to write. Hope you get lots written in 2012.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 8:13 am

Hi Maxine. Glad your underwear is the right color now, LOL. You made me smile. The Internet is so addictive–whether you work or stay at home.

Pam Asberry - January 9, 2012 - 8:44 am

Great post, Linsey! Thanks for all the links and for sharing your plans. Most of us would be more productive -in all ways – if we spent less time online and more time working. Sometimes it’s tough to find a good balance. Good luck in all your endeavors this New Year!

Debbie Kaufman - January 9, 2012 - 9:16 am

I am down to the bare bones of social interaction right now. “Just write” is my new mantra.

Susan Carlisle - January 9, 2012 - 9:45 am

Linsey,
Thanks for the reminder. You do have to write all the time and you most importantly must finiish the book. Without that you are spinning your wheels.

Janel - January 9, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Right now I’m neck deep in editing a gigantic pile of short stories that I want to publish this year. Then it’ll be on to writing some fun romances. I hope. If I survive all of this editing. 8-O

Carol Burnside / Annie Rayburn - January 9, 2012 - 1:43 pm

Great reminder to just write, Linsey!

Janel: Are you pubbed each independently, or creating an anthology? Just wondered because I’m thinking of doing the anthology with several of my shorts.

Pamela Mason - January 9, 2012 - 2:17 pm

I saw on vimeo a great vid by Ira Glass on Storytelling:
You have great taste, and because of this, you want to do the same, but…
problem is, you want to do it at the same level of all this great work. You want to emulate it too fast.
The answer? Write.
Just do a lot of work. Write. Then write some more.
Then more.
More after that.
And soon, after all that body of work, maybe you’ll be able to say, “Hey, that’s not so bad!”
So you’re on to something here Linsey: a big body of work is one key to learning the craft and approaching the level of taste you want to achieve and be identified with.
Thanks for the reminder!

Lindy - January 9, 2012 - 2:43 pm

Linsey, all good points. If you feel someone tugging on your coattails hoping to tag along for the adventure…it’s me.

runner10 - January 9, 2012 - 2:43 pm

I can’t wait to read more of Jane Porter this year. I love all her books.

Tami Brothers - January 9, 2012 - 3:29 pm

Hey Linsey! You always find the best inspiration. I think you are well on your way to being a Konrath. Don’t cut yourself short. :)

I agree with Lindy! I want to come along, too. :) :) :)

Tami

CiCi Barnes - January 9, 2012 - 5:26 pm

Thanks for the timely quotes. My writing has been hit and miss for the last 3 years. I made a resolution not to make it 4.

I copied the quotes and put them on my bulletin board.

Tamara LeBlanc - January 9, 2012 - 5:37 pm

hey Linsey!
I appreciate the links. Can’t wait to check them out, especially since the quotes you added are so intriguing.
I’m sorry you haven’t been writing so much. I know how that feels. I take days, sometimes months off and it’s just not doing me any good.
But lately I got a bee in my bonnet and I’ve been writing like a crazy person. And you know what? I’m enjoying the heck out of it too!
I’m glad you made a resolution to get back into the swing of things…author wise. I’m pulling for ya!
Best wishes for a happy, productive, lucrative year!!

Dorene Graham - January 9, 2012 - 7:18 pm

Hello Linsey,

Excellent and timely reminder! I’m on deadline for two books until August 1st, so I’ll definitely be writing. Somehow, I also need to work in some marketing time though. I suspended my website years ago and need to reconstruct that and learn how to navigate the FB, Twitter and blogging universe, since I’ve done zero promotion since 2005! It’s going to be a busy 2012.

Happy writing to everyone!
Dorene

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:20 pm

Thanks, Pam same to you. So glad you liked the links.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:20 pm

Good for you, Debbie. Though if you’re talking about Twitter and Facebook, I’m not sure what “bare-bones” is, LOL.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:27 pm

So true about spinning your wheels, Susan. I tend to pop around, so I really have to force myself to stick to one story. I’m doing that now with the third book in the Miranda’s Rights mystery series.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:28 pm

I love short stories, Janel. Writing and reading them. Good luck on yours. Hope this post gave you the spirit of energy!

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:31 pm

Thanks, Carol. Whether you’re shooting for Gladwell’s 10,000 hours (Outliers) or Dean Wesley Smith’s one million words, the only way to achieve a dream is to put in a lot of time and effort. As you well know.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:32 pm

Pamela, that is a cool video. Thanks. Don’t emulate too much. You’ve got a strong voice.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:34 pm

Hi, Lindy! Tug away and hop on board. Were in for a fun ride.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:34 pm

runner10, I love Jane Porter. Fabulous writer. You’re in for a great year.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:35 pm

Aw shucks, Tami. I’d love to be the next J.A. Konrath, but I don’t have his sweet, gentle personality. :wink: Hop on board with Lindy and me and ride the writing train.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:37 pm

Hi CiCi! Long time no see! It’s so good to hear from you. And I’m thrilled I could inspire you to write more. :)

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:39 pm

Tamara, I’m so glad to hear you’re writing and enjoying it. Now, I didn’t say I wasn’t writing. I just that I need to write MORE. Especially if I want to complete all these projects this year, LOL.

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 7:41 pm

Hi, Doreen. thanks so much for commenting and CONGRATULATIONS on the sale of two books! You’ll have to do a Guest Chef spot when they come out. I don’t envy you all that marketing stuff you’ll have to do.

Sia Huff - January 9, 2012 - 9:52 pm

Linsey,
Thanks for the reminder. I’ll go out and check your links later for more inspiration. I know you can do it.
runner10, I LOVE Jane Porter also. Plus, I had a chance to meet her and she’s a lovely person as well.
Doreen, I’m thrilled for you. Who are you on deadline with? Can you tell? Many Congrats!

Linsey Lanier - January 9, 2012 - 10:09 pm

Thanks, Sia. Hope you find more inspiration at those links. I remember talking about Jane Porter with you and how much we admire her. I didn’t know that you had met her. Wow.

Anju Gattani - January 9, 2012 - 10:33 pm

Hi Linsey,
Great post and an even greater reminder for the new year – Write, right? I have the same issues with internet a finger tip away… I’m currently tied up on the last leg of research for my 3rd novel and once that’s complete… back to pounding out that 3rd novel.
Happy Writing!

Sally Kilpatrick - January 10, 2012 - 11:41 am

Late to the party. Alas, I was not writing, i was participating in the great Lego Reclamation Project. I feel as though I need the rest of today just to clear my mind!

Julee J. Adams - January 11, 2012 - 7:54 pm

Love Dean Wesley Smith–so much good advice. His wife, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, also has an awesome blog and advice for writers and business people. She was our Guest of Honor for a science fiction convention. And I’ve always been a huge Heinlein fan. I’m sad that I haven’t been writing as much as I’d like, because in my real life, I’ve started a new full-time job. I’ve promised myself I’ll get into a new routine this month, to get it done.