What A Wonderful World!

by Sandra Elzie

The other day a friend sent me a YouTube that I just had to share….but also, I wanted to share my thoughts about what you’ll see when you click on the link below.  You see, we stay so busy….doing necessary tasks and maybe some not-so-necessary pastimes, that we lose focus of all the beauty that’s around us.   You don’t agree?  Well, consider this……..

If someone asked you what color a tree is, you’d say, “green”, right?   Well, take a close look at a grouping of trees and you’ll see that there are so many shades of green represented that you’d have a difficult time counting them all.  How about the different colored birds?  Or the shades of blue in the sky?   Okay, so you have the idea now.    So, let’s move on to all the different insects and animals in the world.  Think feline……all the different kinds of cats…large and small, solid colors and stripes, some with long tails and some without a tail to speak of.  I was going to mention all the different kinds of snakes, but then I have something in common with Harrison Ford……I HATE SNAKES!!!!!   We’ll just skip them, if it’s all the same to you.

But we have five senses, so lets put them all to good use.  I also find it interesting that each type of flower has a different fragrance.  They say variety is the spice of life and we have a world with more variety than we can handle….as long as you have your eyes open and are taking in what is around you.  Oh!  And each fruit has a unique taste and texture.  Why?  Maybe God knew His creation…us….would be easily bored, so He tried to help us out a bit.  Let’s see, sight, smell, taste, feel…….oh yes, sound!    Ever wondered why owls hoot instead of chirp?  Why dogs bark instead of meowing?  Why cows moo instead of braying like a donkey?   Or why a donkey brays and a horse whinnies?  Hummmmmm, interesting to think about.

Have you ever camped near a lake and rose early to take in a sunrise?  Or made it a point to be outside & watch a sunset?  I’ve seen a few that reminded me of the top-ten reasons why I wish I had a talent for painting or for photography.  Alas, God only gave me the ability to string words together and I have to leave painting or composing music…or even playing music…to those who have that talent.

Have you ever felt bored?  I suggest you take a drive in the countryside….and with your mind’s eyes wide open, take in the beauty that surrounds you.  Don’t be in a hurry!  Slow down and “smell the roses.”

Hope you enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0 <

Marilyn Baron - June 7, 2012 - 6:25 am

Very thought-provoking post, Sandy. I do pay attention to everything outdoors. We just got a bird feeder and all kinds of birds visit my deck. I could probably watch them all day. I don’t know exactly which type of birds they are, but I think I have cardinals and blue jays or some type of blue birds, and yesterday for the first time, I saw two beautiful yellow birds (finches?). Every day, I go out to my backyard and watch the progress of my flowers, to see which are in bloom. I saw an amazing blue butterfly yesterday. When I’m at my condo on the beach I am up every morning to watch the sunrise.
As far as five senses, I only have four. I was born without a sense of smell. So my other senses are sharper. I never smelled anything so I don’t know what it’s really like to smell the roses and it’s difficult for me to write about how something smells because I really don’t know.
I wish I could paint, too, like my sister, but when something is well written it can be as beautiful.

Marilyn Baron - June 7, 2012 - 6:28 am

I already commented, but I hadn’t watched the video yet. Wow, it’s amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

C.E. Hart - June 7, 2012 - 7:47 am

This post and gorgeous video is just what I needed today. Thank you!

Linsey Lanier - June 7, 2012 - 8:34 am

What a gorgeous video, Sandy. And post. Just what I needed to calm my nerves before going off to work. Thank you! :-)

Maxine Davis - June 7, 2012 - 9:53 am

I really enjoyed the video. Nature has enough interesting sights, sounds and smells to facinate me daily. I need to, and want to, spend more time outside, but like so many others, too often I feel to rush to complete “things” instead of quietly enjoying all that is around me. Thanks, Sandy-I needed that.

Tami Brothers - June 7, 2012 - 10:58 am

Love this Sandy! I am definitely one of those that do not stop and smell the roses. I really need to work on that.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Tami

Sandra Elzie - June 7, 2012 - 1:18 pm

Hi Marilyn,
I’m glad you enjoyed the video…I’ve watched it several times. I’m thankful to have 5 senses to enjoy the world around me. I’m at the lake right now, and the birds are chirping and the water is lapping against the shore. The greens & blues are fantastic.

Sandra Elzie - June 7, 2012 - 1:20 pm

Good morning CE. Thanks for dropping by & glad you liked the video.

Linsey, I’ve always thought nature was God’s way of calming us down & allowing us to just enjoy watching it. (especially little animals!!!)

Sandra Elzie - June 7, 2012 - 1:23 pm

Maxine,
Yes, I love to be out in nature, but all too often, I stay inside too much. I’ve already been out this morning to get my 15 minutes of sun on each side, and now I’m listening to the wind blow through the trees…..nice.

Tami,
Thanks! I’m glad you…and everyone else…enjoyed the video. It’s got to be one of my favorites.

Carol Burnside/Annie Rayburn - June 7, 2012 - 2:13 pm

Lovely video, Sandy. I’ve always enjoyed nature, growing things and seeing the animal families around us. Thanks for reminding us to stop and smell the roses.

Susan Carlisle - June 7, 2012 - 3:44 pm

Sandy,
We said it perfectly. Just something as watching a kitten play can make you smile.

Sia Huff - June 7, 2012 - 3:49 pm

Love the video, Sandy. Yes, I do stop and smell the roses. Just not often enough in my busy world. Love to see some of nature in real life that was in the video.Thanks for the reminder.

Tamara LeBlanc - June 7, 2012 - 7:13 pm

When I’m bored, I like to take a nice walk. I don’t care if it’s hot or cold when I venture outdoors, but I enjoy a hike most when it’s sunny.
You see, unlike many people, I DO slow down to examine the colors of leaves, the texture of tree bark, or the endless shapes and scents flowers boast. I like the rustle of foliage in the breeze, humming along with bird song and discovering all the variations of shadow and light that dapple the forest floor as the sun makes its way toward the horizon.
I especially look forward to time outside when I’m stuck on a particular scene. The excercise, fresh air and sunshine help me re-direct my thoughts, focus on the issue and relax.
Good stuff ;-)
Glad to hear you stop and smell the roses too!
Have a nice evening,

Darcy Crowder - June 8, 2012 - 7:29 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Sandy. Weather permitting, I usually sit outside on the front porch to eat my breakfast and just listen quietly to the nature sounds around me. I highly recommend it!

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:15 am

Hi Linsey,
I was at the lake, so late getting answers up. Yes, I’ve watched the video over and over…..it’s not just the pictures, which are fabulous, but I love the song.

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:16 am

Hi Tami,
Great seeing you at the lake last weekend. I’m glad you plan to stop and smell a few more roses. We really do live in a wonderful world.

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:17 am

Carol,
I agree with you. I love nature…especially magnificent waterfalls, sunrises, sunsets…and baby animals. They’re so cute. Know where I can get a tiger cub? ;-)

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:19 am

Susan,
Ah, yes, kittens. I’ve had NUMEROUS kittens over my somewhat lengthy lifetime. In fact, we had a cat have kittens in my daughter’s toy box once. What fun. NOT!

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:20 am

Hi Sia,
Good spending time w/ you at the lake. I agree that it’s always good to be reminded to do what we need to do…..relax & enjoy the free beauty all around us.

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:24 am

Tamara,
Thanks for dropping by for a quick visit! Good for you…we all need to notice nature around us. Maybe there wouldn’t be so many kids & adults on tranquilizers if they knew how to relax and enjoy nature. Good luck on your writing.

Sandra Elzie - June 16, 2012 - 6:26 am

Hi Darcy,
Lucky Lady! I know you live out in nature and have an office w/ windows to a lot of beauty. I love sitting out on my deck & enjoying the morning. Hubby & I like to have our first cup of coffee out there when it’s warm enough. Guess that’s why I tend to procrastinate in the summer. 8-)