16 REASONS WHY I LOVE YOU

By Sandra Elzie

Recently my husband and I were each in our home offices, but he had turned on the satellite music station to 50s & 60s music.  Since I was deep in thought and typing as fast as my fingers would allow, I guess I missed hearing the song, Sixteen Reasons Why I Love You.

Later that morning, my husband came downstairs to my office…nothing unusual about this, especially the nearer it gets to lunchtime.  But this time, he pulled over a chair and sat down near me…the usual sign that he is going to ask me to look up something on the computer that he wants to discuss.

But this morning was different.  He had a piece of paper in his hand and once he was seated, he spent a few moments just staring at the paper while I waited to see why he had interrupted me.

When his eyes finally connected with mine, his stare was momentarily intense, but then softened.  “Did you hear the song a little bit ago?”   “What song?”   What music?  What are you talking about?  Hurry up…before I lose my train of thought.  “Sixteen Reasons Why I Love You.”   Suddenly I felt a twinge of guilt for wanting him to hurry to his point so I could get back to what I had been doing.

Then he started to read from his paper.  It was a list of sixteen reasons why he loves me.  Okay, I’m a romantic, so my heart softened to the point of melting into a puddle as I listened to him read off some very lofty characteristics—things about me that mean “love” to him.  Gosh, by the time he got to number sixteen, I was choked up and unable to speak.  My arms around his neck and a tender kiss had to speak for me.

It’s a bit overwhelming to hear someone detail the reasons he has set you high on a pedestal.  The air is thin up there…and the seat is small…and you fear falling from the perch and disappointing the one who put you there.  Know what I mean?  As we move through our daily lives, taking care of business, I’d venture to say that we seldom think about the impact we have on those around us.  We don’t stop to think that the little things can mean so much to someone who loves us. Maybe it’s the way we smile or the way we pay attention when the other person is talking to us.  But just a word of caution…we must never forget that our tongues are powerful tools we can use to either praise or criticize…uplift or tear down…and once words spoken in anger are out there, it’s too late to yell for a “retake” or “do-over.”

You’ve heard the old saying about stopping to smell the roses…and I totally agree…but on a more personal note, I’d suggest that we also stop and think about what we can do for those we love…things that will demonstrate to them how much we care…and then take the time to write down what it is about that person that you love and share it with them.  Believe me, I can tell you from recent experience, it’ll mean a lot.

What has your special “other” done to make you smile…or make your heart melt?  What special little thing do you do to tell that special person that you care?  We’d all love to hear…and maybe it’ll give us some great ideas!!

Marilyn Baron - September 27, 2012 - 5:20 am

Wow! I don’t think anyone can top that. That is romance right out of a novel or a movie. I don’t think my husband would ever write me a list like that. But he demonstrates love in small ways and is very considerate and helpful. Your post made me realize how lucky I am and how we should tell the ones we love the way we feel about them more often. Beautiful post.

Maxine Davis - September 27, 2012 - 8:03 am

That got me choked up – and he wasn’t even talking to me lol. Thanks, Sandy. That will stop us all for a little while and get us to thinking! You are very lucky.

Linsey Lanier - September 27, 2012 - 8:34 am

Awww, what a sweet post, Sandy. I’m all choked up, too. A feeling I love. :)

My sweetie does all kinds of things for me. A lot of them have to do with food. Recently he discovered dark chocolate covered roasted almonds in the grocery store. I was eating some last night and he said he knew I would love them as soon as he saw them, so he had to get them for me. Now if I could just get him to pick out some lo-cal things that way… :)

Carol Burnside - September 27, 2012 - 4:03 pm

You’ve definitely got a good man there, Sandy. It’s nice to be appreciated, isn’t it?

Often, in day-to-day stuff, it’s the little things that say ‘I love you still.” For instance, I gassed up the car while I was out buying groceries because I knew Hubby would get in to leave on a long trip the next morning and would appreciate having a full tank. When I got home, I also neatened the interior of the car and took care of several things he usually does because I knew he was slammed with work.

Though he was only home a couple days between trips, he ran the weed-eater around my flower beds so I could take pictures of our fall flowers. Sometimes, he’ll come back from walking the dogs with a few pretty wildflowers to display in my kitchen window.

Sometimes, a little bit of extra effort says a lot.

Bruce Johnson-friend of Sandra's - September 27, 2012 - 6:02 pm

:flagus: :struggle: See, there are other romantics out there that take the time to put their hearts and inner most feelings to word and paper, not all that many anymore I dare say, but happily for you, you found each other and that is a wonderous thing. Cherish this fantastic gift forever, and never ever miss an opportunity to do likewise. You will be surprised at how much it will mean to the person who receives it, because it comes from the heart and without any strings attached. May you and yours be forever blessed with this rare and wonderful gift. Use it often and never let it remain idle or it will slowly fade into nothingness. Just an old friend…………….

Susan Carlisle - September 27, 2012 - 9:00 pm

Sandy,
You have a sweet one there. There is nothing being loved and someone showing it.

Pam Asberry - September 28, 2012 - 8:38 am

Sandy, I think that’s the most romantic thing I’ve heard in a long time. You are a lucky woman, indeed!

Kayelle Allen - September 28, 2012 - 5:32 pm

My hubby is romantic – he says he loves me more than once a day. I think one of the sweetest things he does is while we’re across a room, or maybe even at an event somewhere, he’ll catch my eye and hold up his fingers and thumb on one hand crooked like he’s making one half of a heart. I make the same sign back — making it a whole heart, and then we smile at each other. It’s a little thing we’ve done for many years. Always makes me happy.

Mary Marvella - September 29, 2012 - 6:23 pm

Beautiful! Do you need 16 reasons to keep that man? Bet you have way more reasons!

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:31 pm

Sorry my comments are so late in coming….I was out of the country and just got back.

Marilyn,
I gotta admit that he doesn’t do these little romantic things often, but when he does them, it knocks my socks off. :)

When we worked, I’d sometimes put little notes in his lunch so he’d be thinking about me…and I’d usually get a call from him. It was definitely win-win.

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:33 pm

Hi Maxine,
You know, we get so busy that sometimes it’s good to have someone remind us to slow down…and focus on what’s really important…our families.

Didn’t mean to choke you up, but thanks for the kind words.

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:36 pm

Hi Linnea,
I love it! My Honey used to say “I Love You” with food, or candy so often that I was forced to talk with him about all the calories. That’s when I told him that a cup of coffee in the morning would mean just as much (actually, a LOT more) than 5 pounds of candy.

Sounds like you have a very considerate guy. :-))

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:39 pm

Hi Carol,
Sounds like you both have a great give and give relationship going for you. When both are considerate of the other, no one feels taken for granted…and that’s a very good thing. Congrats!

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:46 pm

Hi Bruce,
It’s good to hear from you. You are so right about the little things meaning so much…and that we shouldn’t miss opportunities to show our special someone how much we care.

I recall many years ago…when we were both in high school,you’d leave a flower or a poem (that you had written) in the locker that we shared. You always made me feel special. Your wife is a lucky lady to have snagged herself a romantic fella who is man enough to be tender and considerate. (Tell Cheri hi!)

Your young-at-heart, (even if mature in years) friend, Sandy :-))

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:50 pm

Hi Susan,
Thanks! I have a sweetheart…and he deserves a lot more special little moments than I give him. I think the most special moments are those that aren’t “required.” It’s not my birthday or our anniversary…just an ordinary Monday or Thursday. (sigh) Better than diamonds….or even chocolate covered peanut clusters.

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:53 pm

Pam,
Thank you! Dick & I try never to say mean things that will hurt the other one in the moment, but linger on…and on…and on in our minds. A friend of ours says they never argue…they just make bets with each other. Oh, and the prize? Well, they only bet a certain number of kisses, so whoever is right or wrong, it doesn’t really matter since they both win!

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:56 pm

Kayelle,
I love it!!!! Two halves of a heart making a complete one. (sigh) That reminds me of something I read years ago. It said that a couple should never COMPETE with each other, but rather COMPLETE each other.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sandra Elzie - October 1, 2012 - 6:58 pm

Hi Mary,
No, I don’t need 16 reasons to keep my man…but as a romance writer…and having been spoiled by him for several decades now, I wouldn’t have a difficult time coming up with a whole list of reasons why I wouldn’t change a thing. :-)