ORGANIZING YOUR WORKSPACE

By:  Sandra Elzie

Okay, so here’s the problem.  I love to read books…I collect them…I even reread them.   Oh… you don’t think that’s a problem?  Well, let me explain.

Hubby and I were moving some boxes in the basement about a year ago when he stepped out onto very thin ice…he announced to me that I have too many books.  There are several things that a person can’t have too much of and books are one of them.  Good coffee and chocolate are two more of my top five, but I digress.

We have a large home, but since I don’t have enough bookshelf space, most of my books have been kept in the basement…in boxes.  For a bookaholic like myself, that’s next to un-American.  Know what I mean?  So, naturally, my response was that I didn’t have too many books….I just didn’t have enough shelf space.

As some of you already know, I have a husband who loves to spoil me, so when he suggested building me a bookcase to put behind my desk, (he suggested one that would be about 3 x 4 feet) I pondered the dilemma and decided that what I needed the most at the moment was more desk space.  (I love to spread out my notes when I work)  So hubby made me a beautiful mahogany desk.  It’s an 8-ft long by 2-ft deep, executive-sized monster with four drop-files on each end.  Wow!  I was in heaven…I had storage for all my files!!

But that was over a year ago…and I still have my books…by all my favorite authors…in the basement…in boxes.  What’s a girl to do?  Shhhh, don’t tell anyone, but after several decades of marriage, I know when to ask for what I want…and I know how to ask my man for what I want. J

I have a nice office…situated on the corner of the house, overlooking the lawn down to the street, with trees and sloping lawns beyond, but with a regular sized desk…and then the over-sized desk hubby made for me, I only had one wall left that could accommodate a bookcase, so I asked him to maximize the space.

That was a couple of months ago and in the picture above you can see what he built.  It’s mahogany to match the desk he made…and it’s 8 feet by 8 feet.  Am I a happy camper now?  You betcha!  I’m floating above the ground!

And here’s the best part.  I put out my craft books and then only my most favorite romance books…so there’s still space on the shelves…so I get to buy more books!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read more about Sandra Elzie…(awa Sandra McGregor) at:

http:// www.SandraMcGregor.com

To learn more about her books, click on Amazon.

Pam Asberry - October 25, 2012 - 9:34 am

It’s beautiful, Sandy. I know you will enjoy filling up those shelves! :-)

Marilyn Baron - October 25, 2012 - 10:05 am

Sandy,

That’s a great bookshelf. I’ve seen the desk he built, but nom the bookshelf. I could use something like that. My books are overtaking the house. There’s no room for them.

Also, you have a nice neat workspace. Maybe if I cleared all the junk out of my office, I’d have room for the books. I enjoyed your post.

Maxine Davis - October 25, 2012 - 11:11 am

Looks very nice, Sandy. He does great work. I have my two very tall bookshelves in my office, but I also have stacks of books in front of them. Oh well, one day… What I really need to do is clean up my computer table. And again, one day…

Debbie Kaufman - October 25, 2012 - 11:55 am

Hmm, I don’t suppose he takes custom orders, LOL! Love the bookcase. You married a talented man. I am settling for hunting more bookcases at yard sales cause even though I have culled a lot of books, there still isn’t enough space for the ones I want to unbox.

Carol Burnside / Annie Rayburn - October 25, 2012 - 2:16 pm

Love it! Great writing space. Your hubby is handy. Looks like he does lovely woodworking. Congrats on the book space.

Sandy Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 4:23 pm

Thanks Pam,

I have to admit that I’ve already added some books since this picture was taken. But it’s still not full :)

Sandy Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 4:26 pm

Nice clean workspace???? There are moments when it’s clean, but then there’s the rest of the month. LOL But, yes, I’m trying to do better…especially since I’m inviting people in to see hubby’s handiwork.

Thanks for comming!

Sandy Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 4:28 pm

Hi Maxine,
Yes, he does great work…and isn’t it great that he loves to spoil me? I mean, he could spend his time making bookcases for his office or shelves out in the garage, or…….

Part of my goal was to get the stack of books from my nightstand and beside the bathtub….mission accomplished!

Sandy Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 4:31 pm

Deb,
Custom orders? Ah, I don’t think so…..I keep him too busy. :-)) I’m already asking for a coffee table to match an end table he made and also a jewelry rack to go on the wall in my closet to hold about twice as many earrings as my current standing jewelry case.

But for a friend…….

Sandy Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 4:33 pm

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the compliment on the bookcase….I’ll pass it along to hubs. I’m so glad he thinks its fun to play in the garage with all that power equipment. :)

Like I said in the article, never too many books, just not enough space for them. Thankfully there’s a simple solution to that issue.

Bruce Johnson-friend of Sandra's - October 25, 2012 - 6:49 pm

:-P so what is it with you women? Cheri (yes, my better half) once wanted a ceiling fan, so I got her one for xmas. 3 mths later, she asks, “so are you going to hang my fan?” I dropped everything and right then and there asked her where she wanted it and then hung it precisely as directed. Well Duh, next (2 months down the road) she asks me if I am ever going to wire the damn thing so it will work? I mean geez, I get the fan, hang the fan and then she wants it to work, couldn’t she have just said all that at one time? No wonder men die on average of 7 years earlier than women, it’s all the work we have to do, and no it isn’t because we need the extra 7 years to find our way to heaven because we won’t stop and ask for directions. Hey there dear friend, hope this put a snarkey lil smile on that cute face of yours. Let “D” know that I think he did a WONDERFUL job on the bookcase….. :-))

Sandra Elzie - October 25, 2012 - 7:22 pm

Hi! I started smiling…then laughed out loud. I bet Cheri has you better trained than that after all these years. :)

Glad to see you still have your sense of humor in tact….and I’ll pass the compliment on to Mr. D.

Your long-time, long-distance friend. (Bless your heart)

Linsey Lanier - October 26, 2012 - 1:15 am

Gorgeous desk and bookshelf. I’m jealous. Can I put some of my books on the empty space? ;)

Mary Preston - October 26, 2012 - 4:30 am

We have book cases in practically every room & that’s still not enough space.

Sandy Elzie - October 26, 2012 - 5:11 am

Hi Linsey,

Sure, I’ll house your books….as long as I get to read them and get to keep them. :)

Thanks for coming by to comment.

Sandy Elzie - October 26, 2012 - 5:13 am

Hi Mary,
Well, sounds like your house is a lot like mine. I even have a small bookcase in my bedroom…the only rooms missing one is the dining room and the bathrooms…although there’s always a few sitting near the tub in my master bath.

Take care!

Donald Young - October 26, 2012 - 9:02 pm

LOL at Bruce!
That looks like a very nice bookshelf. The picture looks like the wood is dark, so is the mahogany done with a walnut stain? I enjoy working with wood also but havent made a detailed desk yet. Having a small place and very little outside space, my “woodshop” is part of my garage. I have built many cabinets in the garage and throughout the house, along with a few other projects. I made a jewelry box for my daughter with bird’s eye maple and walnet. Maybe if I move back to the Folsom area I might have a small workshop.
I am glad that your husband is energized to spoil you and talented enough too! :-)
Also looking forward to seeing you and meeting your husband at the 2016 all-class reunion.

Sandra Elzie - October 27, 2012 - 10:38 am

2016 seems so far away….but God willing, we’ll be there! The house here has three garage bays…with 15-ft ceilings that make it seem HUGE!!! His workshop takes up one bay…the golf cart & riding lawn mover and the freezer take up the middle one and my Jeep actually gets one too. (His F350, quad-cab, dully won’t fit inside the garage…too wide and too long)

Anyway, the bookcase is oak with mahogany stain…just like the desk.

Hey, are you guys thinking about returning to Folsom? It’s grown so much, but it holds so many good memories. By-the-way, “Bruce” is class of 1966. Go Bulldogs!! I even remember the Alma Mata….”May the lofty Sierras watch over you….” (sigh)

Susan Carlisle - October 27, 2012 - 4:24 pm

Sandy,

I love your bookcase. My dream is to have a office/library where books go from floor to ceiling all the way around with one huge windnow. Think English manor like. I do love my books.