Please Welcome, Author TRACY BROGAN !!

A recent news report revealed that happiness is directly related to gratitude. That makes sense, right? If you are grateful for what you have, you don’t waste precious energy wanting what you don’t have. And it’s that sense of “want” which makes so many of us grouchy, restless, and sad.

So, in the spirit of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday (okay, I know today is Halloween but I like to think ahead,) here’s a list of just a few things I’m grateful for, in no particular order:

•  Black coffee (Okay, that actually does belong at the top of the list.)
  •  My little, white dog who is so dumb but so cute and my big, red dog who totally understands sarcasm.
  •  The post-it note my oldest daughter stuck to my computer after I’d expressed concern over my latest deadline. It says, “I believe in you.”   Really, that’s all that matters.
  •  Any man with a Scottish/Irish/English accent. Seriously, it doesn’t matter what he looks like. I’m that easy.
  •  The smell of a book. When they invent a scented Kindle, I’ll be all over that.
  •  Glittery Christmas decorations. The tackier, the better. That’s my policy.
  •  The  sound of my daughters playing together and laughing. Currently they are making a movie that includes a very complicated tango scene. It’s riveting.
  •  That one night when I fit into that one pair of jeans and looked really good. (It was like, fifteen years ago but I cherish the memory!)
  •  A blank screen, so full of possibilities.
  •  A full screen, so I can see I’ve accomplished something.
  •  When someone says I’ve written something that made them laugh. Out loud. That means more to me than if you tell me I’m beautiful, that my kids are brilliant, or that Bono wants to sing a duet with me.
  •  My husband’s perpetual indulgence of me being myself.
  •  Spell check.
  •  Naturally curly hair. (It’s actually a love/hate kind of relationship.)
  •  Flannel sheets, warm from the dryer, before the dogs have gotten them all hairy.
  •  Google. How did people learn about products made from ostrich feathers and how much a cast iron school bell weighs before Google?
  •  Old movies I would watch with my mom, like Brigadoon and The Quiet Man.
  •  Celebrating my first release day for CRAZY LITTLE THING, and looking forward to my December release of HIGHLAND SURRENDER.
  •  Old friends who have known me for most of my life, and new friends who I’ll have for the rest of my life. (You know who you are!)
  •  The blessing of optimism that each new day can be a good day.
  •  Did I mention coffee?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TRACY BROGAN writes funny contemporary stories about ordinary people finding extraordinary love, and also stirring historical romance full of political intrigue, damsels causing distress, and the occasional man in a kilt.  She is a two-time RWA® Golden Heart finalist and both her recent romantic comedy debut,

CRAZY LITTLE THING,and her upcoming historical romance, HIGHLAND SURRENDER,

have earned  4-Star Reviews from RT magazine.

Please visit Tracy at http://www.tracybrogan.com/  or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/     AuthorTracyBrogan

Tracy is also a proud member of the Dashing Duchesses Blog ( http://dashingduchesses.com/ ) where they write about history and make it sound way hotter than it really was.

Marilyn Baron - October 31, 2012 - 6:38 am

Tracy,
Happy Halloween and thanks for blogging with us. I love your list, except hot chocolate would be first and last on my list, not coffee and Brigadoon is one of my favorite movies/musicals. Naturally curly hair (definitely a hate relationship)and the Internet is amazing. I agree with your premise that happiness is directly related to gratitude. Thanks for an interesting and humorous post.

Sandy Elzie - October 31, 2012 - 6:42 am

Good morning, Tracy,
Thanks for joining us today…um….1st place on my list of being thankful is for my husband. Like yours, he gives me space to be myself…and he spoils me rotten. :) After that, come the grown kids, but I have to admit that I’m more thankful for them now that they don’t live with me and have given me grandchildren (g)

Then health, friends, and an active imagination. Can’t wait to read Crazy Little Thing…I think we all could use a little more humor in our lives.

Tracy Brogan - October 31, 2012 - 7:30 am

Oh,yes. I should have listed my husband and kids before coffee. But honestly, none of them will come near me before I’ve had at least two cups, so that tells you something!

Thanks for commenting on the post!! Have a very happy halloween! I think one more thing I’m grateful for today is that my husband loves to pass out the candy and my kids are old enough to trick or treat on their own! So I’ll be hiding in my office writing tonight! Win-win-win!!

Sia Huff - October 31, 2012 - 7:58 am

Great list, Tracy. I needed the reminder today with 20 things outstanding, due by… you guessed it… the end of the month, or today.
A long distance friend was so impressed by this idea, she read it to me over the phone. In her article, the author suggested keeping a Grateful Journal. Listing 5 things per day that your grateful for. I’m going to start that again – tomorrow.
My list would include spell check, flannel sheets on a cold night, musicals & my sons laughing together too.
Congrats on both of your debuts. They sounds wonderful and I love to laugh, so I’ll be looking for them.
The general school of thought is to start & stay in one genre before moving into the next. Have you had difficulty juggling two? Do you have advice on starting with both cont & historical? Or do you recommend focusing on just one?
Thanks for being with us today. Happy Halloween & Happy Thanksgiving.

Jennifer McQuiston - October 31, 2012 - 8:10 am

Tracy is one of my out-of-town Critique Partners, and I am squealing she is on Georgia’s own PFHT blog!

I am grateful for so many things, but this morning my extra 2 hours of sleep I gave myself was especially needed. :)

Congrats on the debut Tracy. Did she mention it was currently #3 on Amazon’s Womens Fiction Domestic life, sandwiched between Ken Follett and Molly Ringwald?????

Linsey Lanier - October 31, 2012 - 8:20 am

What a fantastic list, Tracy. I relate to most everything on it. Especially black coffee. Yum!

I really liked this one: “A blank screen, so full of possibilities.”

What a positive attitude. Most writers are terrified of a blank screen. I need to remember your attitude the next time I have to fill one. Thanks.

And a big congratulations on your releases. And the 4-Star Reviews from RT! Way to go. :)

Debbie Kaufman - October 31, 2012 - 8:57 am

Morning, Tracy! In my case it’s tea–black, green, rose hips. Almost any tea will do. Gratitude and recounting our blessings are such a powerful concept. I used to habitually go through a life list of the things God has done in my life and just thank Him. Not sure where the habit dropped off, but this is a good reminder for me to think about what I’m grateful for now! Thanks for blogging with Petit Fours and Hot Tamales.

Susan Carlisle - October 31, 2012 - 9:42 am

Tracy,
What a wonderful list. Is it surprising that most of those things you didn’t have to buy-okay the coffee. I feel the same way about sweet iced tea.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

Tracy Brogan - October 31, 2012 - 9:48 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I see we’ve all enjoyed some coffee (or tea!) to wake us up!!

Sia, with regard to writing in two genres, I find it’s actually a great way to balance my dualing writing voices. My contemporary voice is very irreverent and snarky, and my historical voice is formal and (I hope) more lyrical.

The joy for me comes in knowing that I can hop back and forth. By the time I’m wrapping up a contemporary, and having that feeling of “I never want to write again!” I know I can just switch genres and I’m re-energized. I’m also incredibly fortunate to be with Montlake because they’ve been fabulously flexible about giving their authors autonomy. Hope that answers your question :)

Romily Bernard - October 31, 2012 - 10:41 am

I love this, Tracy.

Also glad to know I’m not the only one who ends up with hairy dog sheets :)

Maxine Davis - October 31, 2012 - 2:04 pm

Welcom, Tracy and thanks for joining the PFHT. I really enjoyed your list. Big congratulations on Crazy Little Thing and Highland Surrender. I’ll think I’ll go with Highland Surrender, first. I think a highlander would rank very high on my list ;)

Carol Burnside - October 31, 2012 - 2:13 pm

You have a lot to be grateful for, but the correlation to gratitude shines throughout your post. What a great attitude you have! Kudos on that and congratulations on your releases. Wishing you continued success.

Tracy Brogan - October 31, 2012 - 6:00 pm

I do have a lot to be grateful for :)
Right at this moment I’d like to add that I’m grateful my kids are old enough to go trick-or-treating without me – because it’s cold and raining tonight!
Happy Halloween, one and all!
and Happy Thanksgiving, too! :-))