Sometimes blogs simply write themselves. As I was trying to decide what topic to explore for my very first visit at Petit Fours and Hot Tamales (which I’m super thrilled about), some irritating little viruses decided to take up residence. It started out so innocently. A bit of a scratchy throat, feeling a little off. And then the little nasties took hold.
So there I was, trying to be creative and funny and interesting, when any minute I was relatively certain my head would absolutely explode. I went through more than one box of tissues and pretty much feeling whiney and sorry for myself.
Low and behold, a week later, I had actually survived. So, what got me through the miserable week when those microscopic beasties had their way with my throat and nasal tissues? Here are my top five comfort and curative steps for surviving a very icky winter head cold.
1) Chicken Soup. Okay, this is a no-brainer. Really. Of course homemade would have been better, but in a pinch, low-salt soup and a roasted chicken from the store makes a good substitute. (Did you ever notice how little chicken is in canned soup these days? I bought a pre-cooked chicken, deboned it and added a bit of protein to my yummy soup). It feels good on the throat, and I’m firmly convinced it’s nectar of the gods when you’re sick.
2) Nasal Rinse or Neti Pot. This one’s pretty gross. A friend of mine with five—nope, it’s not a typo—five kids swears by nasal rinses. She, of course, does the salt and baking soda thing from scratch. Me, I buy little packets. Is it fun squirting a bunch of water up your nose? Nope. Is it gross to watch all the … ummm…. slimy stuff … come out the other side. Heck no. Is it good to breathe? Oh yeah! And some of those evil little viruses have got to be caught in all those … gooey globs, right?
3) Green Chile Stew. For those of you who don’t have access to this amazing concoction, I’m SO very, very sorry for you. Tons of vitamin C, and that green chile WILL clean your sinuses. It’s a must for any cold.
4) Hot chocolate, marshmallows, a warm fire, an electric blanky (not a blanket, mindyou, a blanky! – Remember, I’m whiney when I’m sick), and Lifetime, Hallmark and the Food Network. What can I say? I did nothing for two days except sit in my overstuffed chair next to a fire, under an electric blanket, sipping hot chocolate and watching more than one Lifetime and Hallmark movie. The tissues come in handy not only for my stuffy nose, but for my watery eyes. Well, it’s Hallmark and Lifetime, the ultimate chick flick channels. The Food Network—I’ll never be a chef, but who can’t love watching an edible vampire being created out of cake, fondant and pulled sugar.
5) Vick’s Vapor Rub. I love this stuff. Instructions: put on chest and breathe in. Heaven (assuming I can breathe in – see suggestion number 2). However, I heard from two sources that if you slather Vick’s Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet and then put socks on it really helps a head cold. So, the scientist in me isn’t too sure about the logistics of that suggestion, but I gotta wonder. It sounds just a bit too crazy NOT to be true.
There you have it. My top 5 list of must-haves when I’m down with a head cold. So, what about you, dear readers? Have you got any suggestions as to home remedies or comfort food or a ritual that you go through when you have a head cold. I’d love to know!
Comment and earn a chance to win an autographed copy of my October release, Christmas Conspiracy (another Carder Texas Connections novel and a follow-on to Cowboy in the Crossfire (July, 2012)).
I love to hear from readers. You can catch me, read excerpts, read reviews, sign up for my quarterly newsletter or mailing list, check out my book trailers and even request trading cards or a Kindlegraph on my website at www.robinperini.com. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads and Pinterest.
2012 – IN HER SIGHTS (A Montgomery Justice Novel) will be out in Audio on December 11, 2012.
2013 – BEHIND THE LIES (A Montgomery Justice Novel) hits April 16, 2013.
UNDERCOVER TEXAS (Harlequin Intrigue) hits June, 2013.
Two more ‘Carder Texas Connections’ stories are coming out in 2013 and 2014, followed by two Montgomery Justice Novels (BOUND BY SECRETS, EDGE OF DECEIT) in 2014 and 2015.
CURRENT RELEASE – CHRISTMAS CONSPIRACY
A ROYAL LEGACY WILL REUNITE HIM WITH HIS PAST—AND MAKE FOR ONE MEMORABLE CHRISTMAS…
Four years ago, girl-next-door Kat Nelson had gone from being a tempting assignment to the fling P.I. Logan Carmichael never forgot. Now he’s been hired to find her by a king claiming Kat is heir to the throne.
Locating her wasn’t difficult. Learning he was the father of her toddler twins, however, made him ache. But his job was to protect her from a madman who wanted her dead, and keep her away from the king who needed her alive. And yet one look at his children made the steely CIA vet yearn to be more than just a bodyguard. Defusing bombs and taking out terrorists wasn’t as scary as being a father—and didn’t get his heart racing as much as the thought of spending every night by Kat’s side.…
Logan Carmichael catapulted into the fiery barn, sparks and large embers singeing his leather bomber jacket and burning through his jeans. He could barely see through the black smoke billowing from his right, but its heat scorched his lungs. Desperation clawed his insides as he raced toward the woman who had broken his heart three years ago. Now that he’d finally found her, he wouldn’t lose her again. Not this way.
“Kat!” He grabbed her bare arm. “What are you doing? The barn won’t last much longer.”
She spun around, her eyes frantic at first, then widening in shocked recognition. “We’ve got to save the horses,” she yelled over the roar of the fire and the shrill sounds of the frantic animals.
“I’m getting you out of here.”
“We can still rescue them.” She tugged against his hold. “Take your shirt off and cover their eyes. If they can’t see the fire, you can lead them out safely. Please, Logan.”
The inferno exploded through the roof on the far side. More sparks rained down. It wouldn’t take long to engulf the entire building.
Barely visible through the thickening haze, two horses whinnied in fear. Logan cursed. They were running out of time. “I’ll do whatever you say if it gets you out of here.”
Kat twisted away and dove into the first stall. She stripped down to her tank top, then tied her plaid flannel shirt around the filly’s head. Offering words of encouragement between hacking coughs, Kat backed out of the stall, hauling the terrified mare with her.
Logan took the reins and shoved Kat toward the barn door. Heat seared his hands and face the closer he got to the fire. He fought with the huge animal every step. “Call for help. I’ll get them both out.”
For the first time since he’d met Kat three years ago, she didn’t argue. He stripped off his jacket and shirt, then went back for the second horse, while she ran to the open door. When he glanced up, he could barely make out the blue winter skies through the smoke-filled opening. The fire was moving fast.
Just before she reached the barn door, it slammed shut.
She skidded to a halt, then tugged at the door. It didn’t budge. “It’s locked!” Kat shouted over the roar of flames.
She pounded on the wood, screaming for help, then dissolved into fits of coughing as the toxic smoke swirled thicker.
Logan knew no one would come. This fire was no accident. That was clear the moment the door closed. Someone wanted them to burn.
[Cover Art Copyright © 2012 by Harlequin Enterprises Limited. Cover art used by arrangement with Harlequin Enterprises Limited. All rights reserved. ® and ™ are trademarks owned by Harlequin Enterprises Limited or its affiliated companies, used under license.]
National bestselling and award-winning author Robin Perini is devoted to giving her readers fast-paced, high-stakes adventure with a love story sure to melt their hearts. Her mission’s motto: “When danger and romance collide, no heart is safe.” After seven prestigious Romance Writers of America® Golden Heart® finals, Robin has since sold ten novels. She won the Golden Heart® in 2011, and that title became her first Harlequin Intrigue, Finding Her Son (March 2012). Residing in the southwestern United States, by day, she works for an advanced technology corporation, and in her spare time, you might find her giving one of her many nationally acclaimed writing workshops or training in competitive small-bore rifle silhouette shooting.
She is the author of In Her Sights (Montlake, 2011), Finding Her Son, Cowboy in the Crossfire and Christmas Conspiracy (Harlequin Intrigue 2012). In 2013, she continues her Montgomery Justice novels for Montlake with Behind the Lies, and later that year Undercover Texas and another book for Harlequin Intrigue set in the fictional town of Carder, Texas.