The Strange Writer Woman

author headshot of Carol KilgoreThe Strange Writer Woman
by Carol Kilgore
(our Guest Chef)

I’m thrilled to be visiting here at Petit Fours and Hot Tamales. Some of the bloggers here know me, but not all. And probably most of y’all are wondering, who is this strange woman?

Well, I’m a strange TEXAS woman who’s been popping over here for a couple of years now to read what all these great authors and their guests have to say. And now it’s my turn.

My name is Carol Kilgore, and I blog on Mondays and Fridays at Under the Tiki Hut. The doors are always open, and the cabana boys are amazing. . . .

Sigh.

Where was I?

Oh. Besides blogging, I spend a lot of time dealing with our two high-maintenance and very vocal herding dogs – a border collie and a blue heeler – who believe it’s their job to guard me from everything. Not only from people, but from blowing leaves and, especially, squirrels. Love them dearly, but they’re a bigger time-suck than Facebook.

Mostly I daydream and look out the window, sometimes while listening to music. I’m in love with Pandora! Or I read. I get away with this because I also write novels. So I spend a little time planning and writing and rewriting every day. This part works best when the dogs are napping. Otherwise, it’s a real zoo.

What do I write?

I call it Crime Fiction with a Kiss. Always at least one crime. Always a love story. In the real world it would be a novel with strong romantic elements. Or suspense-driven romantic suspense. For me, the line is blurry, and my work wriggles all around it.

Cover art for In Name Only By Carol Kilgore
My first novel is In Name Only. It’s set on upper Padre Island, across the Laguna Madre from Corpus Christi, in the Texas Coastal Bend. Although we now live in San Antonio, I wrote the story when we lived in Corpus Christi. Here’s a short blurb:

No home. No family. No place to hide. For Summer Newcombe, that’s only the beginning.

The night Summer escapes from a burning Padre Island eatery and discovers the arsonist is stalking her, is the same night she meets Fire Captain Gabriel Duran. As much as she’s attracted to Gabe, five years in the Federal Witness Security Program because of her father’s testimony against a mob boss have taught her the importance of being alone and invisible.

No matter how much she yearns for a real home, Summer relinquished that option the night she killed the man who murdered her father. But Gabe breaks down her guard and places both of them in danger. Summer has vowed never to kill again, but she’s frantic she’ll cost Gabe his life unless she stops running and fights for the future she wants with the man she loves.

It’s your lucky day! The Kindle edition of In Name Only is on sale until December 15 for only $2.99. You can find both the Kindle and the paperback editions HERE.

I hang out at all the usual web spots:

website . blog . facebook . twitter . goodreads . amazon author page

I hope you’ll find me someplace and say hi:-)

Pam Asberry - November 28, 2012 - 12:48 am

Hi Carol! Thank you for blogging with us today. You are one of my favorite bloggers/writers ever. And your cabana boys really ARE amazing…

Shelley Munro - November 28, 2012 - 3:27 am

I guess your herding dogs like to keep busy or they’re jealous of the cabana boys!

Carol Burnside - November 28, 2012 - 4:27 am

Welcome to PFHT, Carol. Your cabana boys are really amazing. I remember a couple of stellar fun-in-the-sun days Under The Tiki Hut. Thanks for joining us today and for the head’s up on the sale. I snagged a copy. :-D Love the colorful cover for In Name Only.

Marilyn Baron - November 28, 2012 - 7:23 am

Carol, thank you for blogging with us and telling us about your new book. I’ve enjoyed blogging on under The Tiki Hut in the past. I love the cover and enjoyed the excerpt.

Carol Kilgore - November 28, 2012 - 9:22 am

Pam – Thanks for such kind words. I’m blushing.

Shelley – More the keeping busy. They enjoy having a job to do :) They like all the cabana boys except the one who won’t give them extra treats.

Carol – Glad you took advantage of the sale!

Marilyn – Thanks. I’m happy to be here.

Maxine Davis - November 28, 2012 - 10:49 am

Carol, Glad you’re visiting us. In Name Only sounds fantastic. I will have it before tomorrow! Maybe I can borrow a lounge chair and have one of those cabana boys stop by. I could use something cool to go with a hot book.

Pamela Varnado - November 28, 2012 - 12:23 pm

Hi, Carol. It’s nice to meet you. I enjoyed hearing about dogs. My bichon/poodle, Lily, requires a lot of my attention also. Who ever thought dogs could be high maintenance? LOL. Who did you cover art for In Name Only? It’s really awesome.

Cynthia Willis - November 28, 2012 - 3:46 pm

I’ve been visiting the Tiki Hut for a while now and I didn’t know about your two pups. They sound adorable, but I know how all consuming some pets can be. We have quite a crew of four-legged characters around here, too. ; )

Carol Kilgore - November 28, 2012 - 3:56 pm

Maxine – Great! Happy Reading! Drop by the Tiki Hut anytime for lounge chairs and cabana boys. Insurance regulations prevent them from making house calls, LOL!

Pamela – Nice to meet you, too! Totally true about high-maintenance dogs! The cover designer for In Name Only was Derek Murphy at Creativindie bookcovers. He’s done the cover for my next book, too – Solomon’s Compass, which will be out in April.

Carol Kilgore - November 28, 2012 - 6:13 pm

Cynthia – They are adorable, but require several doggie only sessions throughout the day. Plus outside time. I’m glad we only have two fur-babes.

Julie - November 28, 2012 - 8:10 pm

Thanks for hosting Carol! What a great name for a blog ladies! I still love your catchy tagline, “Crime Fiction With A Kiss” Carol!

Carol Kilgore - November 28, 2012 - 11:13 pm

Thanks, Julie!

Carol Kilgore - November 29, 2012 - 9:44 am

Thanks for hosting me, ladies. It was a fun day!

Brenda Kay Ledford - November 29, 2012 - 2:01 pm

Great posting, Carol. I enjoyed reading this very much. Congratulations upon your books. This is great.

Carol Kilgore - November 29, 2012 - 2:35 pm

Thanks for stopping over here, Brenda. And for your cool words!

Nas - November 29, 2012 - 4:20 pm

Hi Carol!

In Name Only sounds like a fantastic read! Congratulations on the release!

susan swiderski - November 29, 2012 - 4:26 pm

HA! A “bigger time-suck than Facebook.” Love it. Loved “In Name Only”, too, and I’m looking forward to your next book.

Carol Kilgore - November 29, 2012 - 5:50 pm

Nas – Thanks for stopping by!

Susan – Thanks! I’m glad you liked In Name Only :rotfl: At least I get kisses from the dogs.

Medeia Sharif - November 30, 2012 - 2:23 am

I like the sound of crime fiction with a kiss. I enjoyed In Name Only.

Denise Covey - December 4, 2012 - 1:01 am

Carol writes an awesome book. :D

Sandy Elzie - December 5, 2012 - 6:54 am

Carol,
I’m late comment, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed learning about your book. I can’t wait to read it!

Thanks for joining us & hope you have a very Merry Christmas.