Author, Sandra Elzie is with us today!

DIPLOMATIC TUTOR

By:  Sandra Elzie

Okay, so I’m sure you’re all aware of how quickly things are changing in the world…and nothing is changing faster than the publishing industry.  That brings me to what I want to talk about today.  Back in 2008, I sold my first book to Avalon and it was well received …in hardback form…by libraries, my friends and family.  But once it was out of print, I started watching the ticking clock for when I could get my rights back.  A lot of authors today are happy to get the rights to their book back…some to eventually independently publish them on Amazon & Barnes and Noble in e-book form.

I marked my calendar for when my first book’s rights would be available to me…and even began to look at pictures for a possible new book cover.  And then I’m notified that Avalon Publishing has been sold to Amazon…and I quickly realize what this could mean.  My hopes of getting the rights back on that book are squashed.  (sigh)

With Amazon now in control of my book, I have a couple choices…stomp & scream or just shrug and go with the flow of life.  I chose the later.  It’s much less stressful and besides, I happen to believe that God is in control, so if something good is to come out of a negative situation, then it’ll happen…sooner or later.  As it turns out, it’s a good thing I didn’t waste time stressing because in November I received a nice, early Christmas present…Amazon notified me that they would be issuing Diplomatic Tutor in digital form.   Well, I guess the next best thing to releasing it digitally myself is having it released by Amazon with their name behind it.  I haven’t received the first royalty check yet, but I’m hopeful that this side business with Amazon will turn out well for the both of us.

The Diplomatic Tutor is a contemporary romance about a young girl from West Virginia who applies to the United Nations to become a tutor for a delegate living inAmerica.  When she’s chosen, she has no idea just how much her life will change.

If you like a bit of suspense with your romance, this just might be the book for you.  Or maybe you just want to see how this strong-willed young woman handles a very precocious child (who steals almost every scene she’s in) and how she interacts with a British diplomat, then, again, I’ll suggest that you might enjoy this book. Below is a short description of The Diplomatic Tutor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Natalie Holmes accepts a position to tutor Kelsey, the five-year-old daughter of a British diplomat, she never expected to be the one put to the test.  She never expected to fall in love with the child or her handsome father.  She fights the attraction since she knows he could never love a coal miner’s daughter from West Virginia.

Trenton Lancaster is a widower with strict mandates concerning the safety and education of his daughter. Natalie and Trenton immediately clash, but he can’t resist her homespun simplicity and intelligence, and she falls in love with his strength of character and devotion to Kelsey. When Natalie thoughtlessly breaks a rule, she thinks she’ll surely be fired. Only Trenton’s growing affection for Natalie and her obvious devotion to Kelsey convince him to retain her services. Each must change, but when the prize is living happily ever after, it’s worth any risk and sacrifice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Petit Fours & Hot Tamales is having a month-long Anniversary celebration, I’m offering a free Amazon download to not one, but TWO of our lucky commenters today.  Happy New Year!   So be sure to leave a comment to be in the drawing!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Sandra Elzie was challenged by her husband in 2001 not to wait until retirement in 2005 to start writing the book he’d been hearing about almost since they had been married.  Picking up the gauntlet he’d thrown down, Sandra spent the next eight years honing her craft and finishing twelve manuscripts.  She now lives in southern Georgia with her husband and cat and enjoys reading, traveling and family gatherings.  The Diplomatic Tutor was  Sandra’s first published book.

Sandra loves to hear from her readers or if you just want to learn more about her, be sure to click on her name above and visit with her at her website.     She also writes and has independently published several other stories as  Sandra McGregor.  Check them out on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Mary Preston - January 2, 2013 - 4:26 am

Very interesting to learn the wheres & why-fores. It seems very much like a silver lining kind of situation. THE DIPLOMATIC TUTOR does sound fabulous.

Marilyn Baron - January 2, 2013 - 6:29 am

Sandy,
I think the connection with Amazon will work out for you. I agree with Mary about the silver linings situation.

Debbie Kaufman - January 2, 2013 - 9:09 am

Oh, I so agree that little Kelsey is a scene-stealer! But not to the point that we lose the lovely romance between Trent and Natalie. I enjoyed The Dilomatic Tutor, but I’ve always wondered. Did you throw in those heart-stopping thriller events at the end just for me? You know I love action :)

Sandy Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 9:19 am

Hi Mary,
Thank you! Yes, I expect the association with Amazon to be a silver-lining relationship. Have a great new year!

Sandy Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 9:21 am

Hi Marilyn,
From your lips to God’s ears. :-) Who knows, I’ll probably do better with them than on my own.

Sandy Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 9:23 am

Hi Debbie,
Thanks…I love writing children….and they’re all a bit precocious…like my own?

Humm, did I write the thrill scene for you? Not exactly, but I’m glad you liked it. :-))

Linsey Lanier - January 2, 2013 - 3:28 pm

I agree with Mary. Getting picked up by Amazon is a silver lining and very exciting. Congratulations, Sandy. I’m so glad THE DIPLOMATIC TUTOR will be an eBook!

Sandy’s a terrific writer. I know everyone will enjoy this story. :)

Maureen - January 2, 2013 - 4:34 pm

Congratulations on having your story released again with Amazon. It is amazing how quickly publishing is changing but I do like having the ability to read a book I like right away.

Bobbie Peterson - January 2, 2013 - 5:29 pm

I’ve always had questions about the working relationship between publishers and Amazon. Thanks to you some of those questions have been answered. Good luck with Amazon. :-)

Walt Mussell - January 2, 2013 - 5:42 pm

Sandy, it sounds like it all worked out. I’m very happy for you. I’ve heard good things from those who get their books published by Amazon.

Susan Carlisle - January 2, 2013 - 6:18 pm

Sandy,
This is wonderful. I’m glad to see the book out in circulation especially with Amazon.

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 8:52 pm

Linsey,

Thanks! Yes, I’m looking forward to seeing how it works out with them.

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 8:53 pm

Hi Maureen,
Yes! Isn’t it great to be able to see a book you want to read and immediately download it and start reading? I love it!

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 8:55 pm

Hi Bobbie,
I know that some of the non-authors don’t understand about the publishing business…but with it changing so quickly now days, it’s making it even difficult for those of us who used to think we had a handle on how it worked! Thanks for dropping by.

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 8:57 pm

Hi Walt,
From your lips to God’s ears! :-) Yes, I’m hopeful that it’ll do well. I know I’ve had several people send me e-mails after reading the book and they want to know if I’m going to write a sequel since they want to know what happens to little Kelsey when she grows up. Hummmm Maybe someday…..

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 8:59 pm

Hi Susan,
Thanks for dropping by and commenting. And thanks for your kind words.

Maxine - January 2, 2013 - 9:30 pm

Sandy, I loved The Diplomatic Tutor in hard back and gave it to a couple of nieces for Christmas. I’ll be getting a copy on my Kindle so I’ll have it close by to read again. Hope the checks are big!

Sandra Elzie - January 2, 2013 - 11:50 pm

Hi Brenda,
Thank you! You’re so sweet…and so supportive. BTW, hope you’re feeling better soon.

Anna Doll - January 3, 2013 - 12:07 am

Great story! I hope your relationship with Amazon proves to be successful.

Sandy Elzie - January 3, 2013 - 12:56 am

Hi Anna,
Thanks! BTW, welcome aboard!

Laura Russell - January 3, 2013 - 1:35 am

Very neat cover and what an unusual twist on down-home/sophisticated man of world romance. I hope Montlake ends up selling many copies for you.

Meg Bellamy - January 3, 2013 - 11:51 am

I have a friend published by Avalon who expressed similar concerns when Amazon became her new publisher (hmm, just noticed Avalon and Amazon rhyme — just two internal letters difference). With Amazon’s brilliance in marketing, I think this change has to be a good thing. I’d count on Amazon knowing what they’re doing — and I expect this should be a very good thing for the authors now under their umbrella.

Sandy Elzie - January 3, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Hi Laura,
Thanks you! My original editor told me she fell in love with the child…Shelby…and was ready to buy the book right then & there. She also iked the fact that my ambassador was “nice”
Have a great day.

Sandy Elzie - January 3, 2013 - 12:56 pm

Hi Meg,
Welcome to the blog! I agree totally. I’m having a positive outlook and praying that it works well for both of us….win/win

Thanks for commenting!

Pam Asberry - January 3, 2013 - 3:17 pm

I already own “The Diplomatic Tutor” in hardcover but I think it is exciting that Amazon is releasing it in digital form. Best of luck!

Bruce Johnson-friend of Sandra's - January 3, 2013 - 8:24 pm

You go girl, CONGRATULATIONS, you deserve it and so much more, keep up the great work. :yes:

Carol Burnside - January 3, 2013 - 10:22 pm

Best of luck with the new Amazon association, Sandy. I hope it works out for you in spades!

Sandy Elzie - January 4, 2013 - 8:16 am

Hi Pam,
Thanks so much! Yes, I’m excited…I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.

Sandy Elzie - January 4, 2013 - 8:17 am

Thanks Bruce! It’s always good to have friends cheering for us….too bad you won’t be here next month when I drag myself across the finish line at the 5K race…I’ll need some cheering. :-)

Sandy Elzie - January 4, 2013 - 8:18 am

Thanks, Carol,
I’m keeping my fingers crossed…but I’m still working on the next story. :-))

Sandy Elzie - January 4, 2013 - 8:23 am

Hi All,
Thanks for all the comments….but I have to list the two winners
of a free download of The Diplomatic Tutor.

Meg Bellamy and Laura Russell.

Congrats ladies. As soon as I get your e-mail addresses, I’ll send along your download.

Sia Huff - January 5, 2013 - 8:58 am

Sandy,
Sorry I’m running late, but Congrats with Amazon re-releasing The Diplomatic Tutor. Wishing you many sales!