Bainbridge Island by Sia Huff

Seattle Oct 2013 049Across Puget Sound from Seattle sits Bainbridge Island, a thirty minute ferry ride away from the hustle of the city. I was a little nervous, because I get motion sickness and decided to stay out on the deck. The Ferry was large, the kind where cars are transported on the bottom. In late October, the cold wind had me scurrying inside to a cushioned, comfortable seat. I had no problems being able to see through the glass and theSeattle Oct 2013 082ride was smooth.

Bainbridge Island has a quaint, seaside village feel. From the dock, we walked up a hill to the only stop light we encountered and into a creative haven. Downtown boosted a variety of specialized shops we were eager to explore.

Seattle Oct 2013 094The first order of business was finding a spot for lunch. With over forty restaurants, picking a place wasn’t easy. We asked someone in town for their advice of a place to eat with a view. They suggested Doc’s Marina Grill and the scenery was fantastic. The food tasted great too. Along the mSeattle Oct 2013 115arina, rock art was showcased.

With our hunger satiated, we strolled along the shops on the main strip. I loved the town. The shopkeepers were friendly and helpful. An independent bookstore showcased their local authors, including Susan Wiggs, clothing stores, handmade pottery, art galleries, jewelry, a sewing store, a yarn shop, where I brought a knitting pattern and I don’t even knit.

I want to go back during the summer. There are many parks to explore and I understand you can rent a bicycle and tour the island on your own. Bicycles rule on Bainbridge. As we were walking back to the dock,Seattle Oct 2013 069the rush hour traffic came in from the ferry. We counted two cars and over fifty bicycles. What a great way to stay in shape.

Time to head back to Seattle. There was one more must-do attraction to check off our list, before the conference started. The Space Needle.

Mary Preston - January 17, 2014 - 3:11 am

I get sea sick too, but I seem to be okay on ferry boats. The rock art is incredible. I’m knitting with some gorgeous bamboo/cotton yarn right now, so the yarn shop would have been amazing for me.

Marilyn Baron - January 17, 2014 - 4:38 am

Bainbridge Island sounds wonderful. I would really like to visit there one day.

Debbie Kaufman - January 17, 2014 - 9:07 am

Sia, I remember riding a ferry across the Yangtze River. It was also one of those that carried vehicles. Because it was so large, I had an easier time with the motion issue. However, cruise ships and fishing charters leave me ill.

Bainbridge Island sounds fabulous. What a fun day that must have been. And I’m with Mary, I would have gotten lost in the yarn shop!

Mary, I’ve never felt bamboo/cotton yarn. No regular yarn shops near me, but I will have to check next time I’m away. I’ve got some great wool and Llama right now that I’m trying to decide how to use!

Maxine - January 17, 2014 - 12:48 pm

Sia, Great blog! Love the pictures! Bainbridge Island is exactly my type of place – even riding the bicycles. That is a must see the next time I’m in Seattle. Well, I do hope to go there again! Thanks for seeing it through your eyes.

Juliet Martini - January 17, 2014 - 4:41 pm

Am for sure adding Seattle and its environs to my list to places to see. Hopefully we can travel together somewhere :) Great post!

Pam Asberry - January 19, 2014 - 12:47 pm

I missed Bainbridge Island when I visited Seattle but I know I would love it. I’m curious about that knitting pattern because I *DO* knit! ;-)

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 8:56 pm

Sorry I’m late responding. I was traveling all day Friday. Made it to the GRW meeting yesterday and promptly got sick.
Better late than never. Thanks for your comments.

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 8:59 pm

Hi Mary,
I’d never seen rock art. It was neat. You would have loved this yarn shop. I fell in love with it and I had no interest before going in. They hooked me.
Bamboo/Cotton yarns sounds interesting. I’m going to find a yarn shop around here and see what it feels like. Thanks for commenting.

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 9:00 pm

Hi Marilyn,
I think you’d enjoy Bainbridge Island. You should try to go. :)

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 9:02 pm

Hi Debbie,
I so understand about fishing charters – never again. Cruise ships? Depends on how big it is.
Bainbridge was fabulous and fun. If you ever get up that way, check it out.

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 9:04 pm

Thanks, Maxine. I’m glad you enjoyed the blog. I hope you get to go. I want to do the bicycle tour too. For me, it’d have to be during the warmer months. Thanks.

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 9:06 pm

Hi Juliet,
Glad you like what your reading enough to go to Seattle. Wait til next week – and a glass exhibit I think you’ll love. I know you love travel as much as I do.

Sia Huff - January 19, 2014 - 9:09 pm

Hi Pam,
If you ever get to visit again, you’ll have to make Bainbridge a stop. I’m happy to show you my new knitting pattern. The store clerk said it was pretty straightforward. Love to have your opinion.