Taking A Break

Maxineby Maxine Davis

Writing, writing, writing.  Tired.  Writing, writing.  Brain getting mushy . . .

“Ah-h-h.”  Fifteen minutes later, and I’m in the recliner, a cup of sugar-free hot cocoa to my side and a good book—to read.  It’s called regrouping.  Or recuperating .  Or taking-a-break-to-read-a-good-book.  Does this scene sound familiar?  Since I’m taking a break, let me tell you about this good book:

51OpEFV95aL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_[1]Sixth Sense by Marilyn Baron, A Psychic Crystal Mystery, Book One.  Among other writing awards, Ms. Baron’s book, Sixth Sense, won the Georgia Romance Writers 2012 Unpublished Maggie Award for Excellence in the Paranormal/Fantasy category.

From the back cover:  Reluctant psychic Katherine Crystal, dubbed “Crystal Ball Kate,” is thrust into the national spotlight when she accurately predicts the death of a movie star’s young son in a private plane crash.  Besieged by requests to use her powers to help others, she realizes why her parents had warned her never to let anyone know of her visions.

By-the-book Atlanta police detective Jack Hale harbors a deep-seated distrust of psychics and ignores Katherine’s warnings when she calls to report her premonition.  Jack is forced to partner with Kate, who uses her eerie sensitivity to evil to help him catch a serial killer in Sydney, Australia, but that’s only the beginning of the story.  Jack and Kate are drawn into the investigation of a mystery surrounding Kate’s birth and find murder and romance among a secret society of psychics in the quaint seaside spiritualist community of Casa Spirito, Florida.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Sixth Sense.  Ms. Baron has a sense of humor sprinkled throughout the book in a deadly serious plot.  It is a riveting read that kept me turning pages way past my bedtime to find a wonderfully pulled-together ending.  I very much recommend Sixth Sense to anyone who enjoys a really good book.

Copyright 2013 by The Wild Rose Press, Inc.  thewildrosepress.com  Also available on Amazon.com.

What do you like to read for relaxation?  A commenter today will win a $15 gift card.

Marilyn Baron - January 30, 2014 - 8:06 am

Wow. This was unexpected. What a thrill to wake up to this. Thank you so much for reading and featuring my book and for the nice things you had to say about it. I’m glad you enjoyed the book. This week the sequel to Sixth Sense, Homecoming Homicides, was released on Kindle. So it’s been a great week.

Marilyn Baron - January 30, 2014 - 8:08 am

Oh, and I also read for relaxation. I’m in two book clubs and I also get recommendations from my sister and friends on great books and I’m never without a book.

Susan Carlisle - January 30, 2014 - 8:33 am

Maxine,
Thanks for sharing about Marilyn’s book. It is a good one. I’m so proud of Marilyn’s work and glad she is one of the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales!

Maxine - January 30, 2014 - 9:28 am

Marilyn, You are very welcome. I’ve got to get over to Amazon and post the review there! Will do that today! I can’t wait to read Homecoming Homicides. I don’t see how you get everything done and read for two book clubs. Good luck!

Maxine - January 30, 2014 - 9:29 am

Susan, I know! I am proud of Marilyn and YOU. Both of you read more than I do, but I certainly enjoy it! I’m behind now.

Connie Gillam - January 30, 2014 - 9:34 am

I’m looking forward to reading, The Sixth Sense. It’s in my TBR pile.

Keep writing, Maxine. I’m trying to keep up with you and Carol, and Marilyn and….

Pam Asberry - January 30, 2014 - 12:31 pm

What Connie said. ;-)

Walt Mussell - January 30, 2014 - 2:40 pm

Good thrillers and good historicals tend to relax me. Love them both.

Carol Burnside - January 30, 2014 - 2:41 pm

Great review, Maxine. Makes me want to push this farther up in my TBR list. I’ve enjoyed Marilyn’s writing in the past and I’m sure I’ll enjoy this one.

Isn’t it exciting though that we have so many books coming out within our group members?

Keep reading!

Carol Burnside - January 30, 2014 - 2:44 pm

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. LOL! Almost always it’s something with romance in it. Lately I’ve been leaning toward American western historicals.

Maxine Davis - January 30, 2014 - 8:22 pm

Connie, nice of you to say, but you sure don’t have to go far to catch up with me – at least lately – hope it changes. Thanks for stopping by!

Maxine Davis - January 30, 2014 - 8:23 pm

Pam, You stay so busy! But you seem organized – that is something I need help with! Thanks for the comment.

Maxine Davis - January 30, 2014 - 8:25 pm

Walt, First of all, welcome, and you are right, thrillers and good historicals are books I can always take a break from work to read! Thanks for commenting.

Maxine Davis - January 30, 2014 - 8:26 pm

Carol, You are on top of my TBR file now. I’ve got to get busy. You’ve been burning the midnight oil it sounds like! Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

Maxine - January 31, 2014 - 2:52 pm

PFHT, All six are part of this wonderful group. I put the six names in a box and drew out . . . Susan. Congratulations. Susan if you don’t read this, I’ll contact you and see if I can figure out how to send you an Amazon card. I’ve done it before; even I should be able to do it again.

Tamara Leblanc - January 31, 2014 - 3:34 pm

Darn, I meant to comment yesterday, but time got away from me.
I love this review and think the story sounds fantastic! I’m fascinated by the psychic world and who doesn’t love Marilyn Baron!
And you’re one of my very favorite people, Maxine!!!
Hugs and kisses.Congrats Susan for your win.
Love you guys,

Sia Huff - January 31, 2014 - 4:30 pm

I agree with Carol. Sounds like I need to push this up my TBR pile.
Like you I get so caught up in writing, I don’t find enough time for reading. One of my goals this year is to read everyday. After all it’s one of my favorite things to do!
Currently, I’m reading Romily Bernard’s YA Thriller, Find Me. She really has me guessing.

Sandy Elzie - February 3, 2014 - 4:01 pm

Maxine,
Great review about a great book…and a great author. Thanks.