Petit Fours » A group blog of authors writing in different genres

Masthead header

Snowed In

SnowBy Susan Carlisle

I’ve been snowed in with my children before, including my husband on a rare occasions but this time I added my twin grandchildren and a cat to the mix. I saw the weather issue getting bad a little more clearly than some did and made a grandmother decision that if my daughter and her husband couldn’t get home for the night that the kids needed to be at my house instead of a the babysitter’s house. I picked them up a 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday and they didn’t leave again until 6:00 p.m. on Thursday. A bee hive had less activity.

I also had my husband and two sons during this time. There is something about snow on the ground that makes everyone hungry and crave sweets. Therefore, I cooked more than I usually do.  The cat was needy also. He couldn’t get happy with the grandkids giving him their form of love and he didn’t like the cold so I spent a good deal of time letting him in an out of the house. I finally give up on getting any writing done.

It was great to see so much of my family, and everyone was safe which is what really counts, but it was also nice to see them all leave on Friday morning. The snow is still on the ground but we are moving around again.

How do you fare when you are penned up with your family for an extend length of time?

Carol Burnside - February 3, 2014 - 5:18 am

I don’t have kids or grands around, but we do have the furbabies. Three dogs and they get really antsy when cooped up. They have to go for daily runs or they drive us crazy!

I’m sure you slept better (when you finally got a chance) knowing everyone was safe and warm.

Marilyn Baron - February 3, 2014 - 6:49 am

Great snow picture and snow story. You are wonderful grandparents to offer to keep the grandchildren. It sounded like fun.
I was alone because my husband was out of town and then stuck at the Atlanta airport. Because I live on top of a steep driveway and my subdivision is very hilly I was housebound till Friday. But I’d rather be home safe and warm than stuck out on the roads like some of my friends were.

Rachel Jones - February 3, 2014 - 7:22 am

I was stuck on Cobb Parkway in Cobb County for three hours and running on fumes, so I pulled into a parking lot about two miles from my house. I was still using one crutch and decided it wouldn’t be a good idea to walk home, so I waited five hours for my son to get to me. As I sat in my car, it was a lift to my spirit to see people helping strangers push their cars up a slight incline that many people were having difficulty accomplishing. I was so glad to be home! I didn’t leave again until Saturday morning.

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 8:36 am

The cat kept me almost as busy as everyone else so animals out of there routine can be rough also.

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 8:39 am

We live on a hill also. It was Friday before I got out in the world also. Even at 3 in the afternoon I had to be careful getting out of my drive. I’m glad I wasn’t stuck somewhere also.

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 8:42 am

You had a real experience. I’m glad you didn’t have to wait any longer for your son. It is nice to know mankind can still be good to each other.

Pam Asberry - February 3, 2014 - 10:19 am

My son and my boyfriend were in the parking lot that 75 and 285 turned into Tuesday evening. It took them almost 14 hours to make the drive from Woodstock to Dacula. I was awake most of the night worrying about them. They finally showed up at the front door, about 7:30 Wednesday morning. I have never been so happy to see anyone in my life!

Connie Gillam - February 3, 2014 - 11:37 am

I’d made a decision on Tuesday that I wouldn’t work my usual 3pm to 11:30 pm shift, but I’d go in at 11:30 am and leave when finished.
I left at 3:30pm and it took me 2 hours to get home, but I slept in my own bed, which many didn’t.
My niece was caught at I-75 and West Paces Ferry. After being in her car for 12 hours, she pulled into a Publix and spent the rest of the night there, sleeping on the floor. She walked home (5miles) that morning.
What an experience for Atlanta. Hopefully, some corrective procedures will be put in place so this doesn’t happen again.

Maxine - February 3, 2014 - 1:48 pm

Susan, I loved the story and picture. I bet you were exhausted. When my nieces and nephews came to visit, I was a whirlwind cooking and playing with them. They would barely get out the door before I was in my recliner and asleep! I know you really did enjoy it and they are so lucky to have you.

Sandy Elzie - February 3, 2014 - 4:06 pm

Susan, You put the “grand” in grandmother. Loved your story about the snow. My west-coast friends loved watching on TV about our snow challenges here in Atlanta. Me? I just stayed home where it was safe and warm. :)

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 6:22 pm

That doesn’t sound like any fun. I know I made out better than them.

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 6:23 pm

I’m just now getting enough sleep. I did do a lot more cooking.

Susan Carlisle - February 3, 2014 - 6:24 pm

I was glad to be home safe and warm also. I don’t do well driving in snow.

Walt Mussell - February 3, 2014 - 9:40 pm

When we were afraid it was going to snow recently, my wife sent me to store to pick up whatever ingredients i would need to make pound cake. (In case the power went out, the pound cake would be available to eat.)

F O L L O W   U S
R E C E N T   T W E E T S