Welcome Author MINDY HARDWICK !!!

Blog-Mindy-Cover

The inspiration behind my sweet, contemporary romance, VINTAGE VALENTINE, began with a box of old valentines.

One of my hobbies is collage and art journaling. After my Grandpa passed away, I was given a box of old valentines found stuffed in a closet. Some of the cards were torn and some were yellowing with age. But, inside the valentines, I found messages written to my Grandpa from his childhood classmates. I didn’t have the heart to use the cards in my collage work. They were too precious to cut-up.

Instead, I bought small, photo albums and slipped the cards inside the plastic pages. I took the larger, stand-up decorations and placed each one in a plastic bag. I keep the whole collection in a large box in my living room. In February, I enjoy placing the old cards around my home.

When I sat down to write VINTAGE VALENTINE, I found those family valentines crept into my story as the heroine’s daughter, ten-year-old Kaitlin, is also given a box of valentines from her grandparents.

Here are some pictures of the real life valentine cards.

Blog-Mindy-Card-3
Blog-Mindy-Card-2
Blog-Mindy-card-1

I’d like to offer one lucky commenter an e-book copy of VINTAGE VALENTINE. Please leave a comment about your favorite Valentine memory and be sure to leave your email address so we can contact you.

VINTAGE VALENTINE Blurb: After ten years away, Hailey returns home with her ten-year-old daughter. Hailey is happy to help celebrate her grandparent’s golden wedding anniversary at their beloved hotel, the Elmheart Hotel. But, when Hailey finds former, high school boyfriend, Patrick, working as the hotel’s chef, she will have to find a way to tell Patrick the secret she has kept from him.

You can buy VINTAGE VALENTINE at:

Blog-Mindy-HeadshotAuthor Bio: Mindy Hardwick enjoys writing first love and sweet, contemporary romance for all ages and is known for her small-town, artistic community stories. When she’s not writing, Mindy can be found art journaling, visiting flea markets dreaming of new ways to repurpose old materials, and walking on the Oregon Coast beaches with her dog, Stormy. Mindy believes that a great story can warm the heart, lift the spirit, and heal the soul.

Website |Blog |Amazon |Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Marilyn Baron - February 5, 2014 - 7:20 am

Mindy,
What a great idea to incorporate your grandfather’s old cards into what sounds like a really sweet story. I love the title. I did something similar in one of my books,using my father’s WW II bomber mission diary in my women’s fiction and as a result it is one of my favorite books. Perfect timing for your book. I wish you much success.

Sandy Elzie - February 5, 2014 - 7:48 am

Hi Mindy,
Love the pictures and the idea of incorporating something personal into your book. A couple of years ago I wrote a fiction book based on all the stories my mother had told me about my father & mother meeting during WWII. They’ve both passed now, but they would have loved the idea that their story will be preserved for the grandchildren and beyond. I plan to release it later this year.

Pam Asberry - February 5, 2014 - 8:54 am

I loved this post, Mindy! My favorite Valentine’s Day memories are from when my kids were small, helping them make their Valentine’s Day boxes and sign their valentines to exchange with friends and then helping them decorate cupcakes to take to their parties. Your book sounds delightful!

Mindy Hardwick - February 5, 2014 - 9:21 am

Thanks for hosting me today! I love hearing all your posts about how you incorporate family history into your stories. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Connie Gillam - February 5, 2014 - 11:52 am

Mindy-

I wish I had mementos from my grandparents. I’ve been researching my family tree and wished I’d asked questions, obtained pictures or other personal items when my grandparents were still alive.

Wishing you much success with your new book.

Tamara LeBlanc - February 5, 2014 - 1:10 pm

I so love vintage valentine cards. There’s something so sweet about them, and what a great idea to put your grandpa’s valentines in an album.
I loved my grandpa, he was the sweetest, kindest man I ever met and I wish he was still here.
I, like Pam, think that my favorite Valentines memories involve little things my children made for me when the were little. So cute.
Thanks for this post.
Have a great day!
tamara

Carol Burnside - February 5, 2014 - 3:01 pm

I think my early memory of Valentine’s Day is a conglomerate of selecting them in the store, then agonizing over which one was exactly right for certain friends (and of course, certain BOYS). lol Then we’d each get a white paper sack with a valentine on it. Sometimes we’d have decorated them in class so each was individual. It was so exciting to see who gave us what. And then there was that one kid who made us all feel like dirt because their mom sent big heart lollipops for everyone and all we had were the conversation hearts. But we survived. After all, we had a lollipop to eat on the walk home.

Thanks for the nostalgia and best of luck with sales. What a great story behind the story you have!

Maxine - February 5, 2014 - 6:34 pm

Mindy, I enjoyed your post and your book sounds wonderful! My memories: being very shy, I was afraid I’d be the student that only got a few valentines, but my classmates came through and I got many – even my secret love sent one – it was funny, but I didn’t care. Oh, and that secret love lasted until until summer, then out of sight; out of mind, lol.

Mindy Hardwick - February 7, 2014 - 11:39 pm

I enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughtful comments about your Valentine Day memories. Thanks for stopping by!