THE WITNESS by Nora Roberts

blog-Nora
by Sandra Elzie

Have you ever started reading a book and couldn’t put it down?  In fact, you missed out on hours and hours of sleep because you read until your eyes blurred?  Well, that’s the experience I had after starting to read Nora’s new book…The Witness.   Of course, it’s not technically new since it has a copyright of 2012, but it’s new to me.

Oh, and just to let you know, it happens to be her 200th published book.  Kinda cool, right?  Now let me tell you what kept me reading late, late, late into the night…two nights running…until I finished it.  It starts out with a sixteen year old girl…Elizabeth…who has a domineering mother that rivals  Mommy Dearest except that the woman puts Mommy Dearest way, way out in left field.    Then comes the day that Elizabeth rebels and that starts a chain of events that has deadly consequences.

Now, I’m going to try like crazy not to ruin the story for you if you haven’t read it yet, but I will tell you that Elizabeth finds a way to pay back the bad guy while still getting the good guy in the end.  I know, I know, that doesn’t tell you much, but, hey, I don’t want to ruin it for you!  I’ll just tell you what Nora chose to tell you on the cover:

“Elizabeth Fitch’s short-lived teenage rebellion began with L’Oreal Pure Black, a pair of scissors and a fake ID.  It ended in blood.”

So, if you have a few free hours…okay, maybe a bit longer since it’s 468 pages…and want to fall in love with a woman who learns to be strong and the hunky guy who falls in love with her, then you’re going to really enjoy The Witness.    (Available on Amazon)

Also, at the end of the book, she gives a peek into her next book…The Collector that will be out in April 2014.  I can’t wait to read it.   HAPPY READING !!!!

Mary Preston - March 12, 2014 - 3:32 am

This does sound like a terrific read.

Marilyn Baron - March 12, 2014 - 4:34 am

Sandy,
I have read The Witness and loved it. I think I have read every Nora Roberts book. Thanks for telling me about The Collector.

Sandy Elzie - March 12, 2014 - 5:33 am

Hi Mary,
You won’t be sorry if you pick this one up. Nora has a way of building characters that seem so very real…then in this book she throws them under the bus Big Time…and has you rooting for them all the way.

Sandy Elzie - March 12, 2014 - 5:38 am

Marilyn,
I think you’re going to love The Collector. It’s about a housesitter who….well, maybe I’ll just say that it starts out sort of like Rear Window, if you get my drift…but, IMHO, Nora has added a dynamic twist that will knock your socks off. :)

Sandy Elzie - March 12, 2014 - 5:44 am

For those who are interested in The Collector, here’s what Amazon says:

From #1 New York Times-bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a novel of a woman who needs nothing, a man who sees everything, and the web of deceit, greed, and danger that brings them together—and could tear them apart . . .

When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .
Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . . .

Pam Asberry - March 12, 2014 - 8:19 am

Hey Sandy! Killer review! I have a signed copy of “The Witness” and clearly need to move it closer to the top of my TBR pile!

Connie Gillam - March 12, 2014 - 11:56 am

Sandy-

I have read “The Witness” and loved it. Nora did a great job in characterization for Elizabeth. Her social awkwardness shone through out the book.

I’m more a J.D. Robb girl, but The Witness caught my attention, I bought it and wasn’t disappointed.

Carol Burnside - March 13, 2014 - 12:09 am

This is one I haven’t read. Gotta add it to the tottering TBR pile.

Sandra Elzie - March 13, 2014 - 7:42 am

Thanks Pam….Yes….you and Carol need to get it to the top of your TBR pile. :)

Sandra Elzie - March 13, 2014 - 7:43 am

Hi Connie,
Yes, I love JD Robb, but,like you, I really enjoyed this one. Nora rarely disappoints.

Maxine Davis - March 13, 2014 - 9:46 am

Sandy, You’re right. I Loved that book! Couldn’t put it down. I did not realize it was her 200th book. Guess that makes her a Super Hero.

Anonymous - March 14, 2014 - 10:40 am

Hi Carol,
Yes, be sure to put it on your list…I don’t think you’ll be sorry.

Sandra Elzie - March 14, 2014 - 10:41 am

Hi Maxine,
Two hundred books in about thirty years…wow. Glad you enjoyed the book.