Resting and Reading

Maxineby Maxine Davis

Recently a friend told me to STOP rewriting and let it go.  I did.  I sent my “baby” to her to read and comment.  This was one of my first books I wrote and had recently updated, and updated, and updated.  You know how that goes.

While taking a brief hiatus from writing, I read.  Let me tell you about two books.  One I had read a while, back, but I looked through it again, enjoying it every bit as much as the first time, and another I selected by the same writer.  If it’s good, you might as well, keep reading, right?  Enjoy!

th

The Rebel Doc Who Stole Her Heart 51dThLbdCqL._AA160_

By Susan Carlisle

Protected by her ice queen facade and wearing her designer suits as armor, heart surgeon Michelle Ross is always in control. Then maverick anesthesiologist Ty Smith sweeps into her operating theater and ruffles her well-groomed feathers!

He is her complete opposite, but even Michelle isn’t immune to his charms—especially when she starts to see the real Ty. She knows that he’ll soon be back on his sleek black motorcycle, out on the road again, but can she stop her heart from leaving with him…?

I have to admit, Dr. Ty Smith become an instant “favorite hero.”  He had it all—looks, brains, charm and a little bit of the past that he kept hidden.   He and Dr. Michelle Ross are a perfect pair for each other.  This was definitely a page-turner of enjoyment.   Her books are a joy to read and do not disappoint!

Heart Surgeon, Hero . . .  Husband

51QAKV7UeCL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_

By Susan Carlisle

Discovering that her tiny son desperately needs a new heart terrifies Hannah Quinn—especially when she realizes ex-flame Scott McIntyre is the skilled surgeon in charge of the transplant. Entrusting her baby to Scott’s miracle-working hands is one thing, but whether Hannah’s own heart will survive Scott’s devastating charm intact is quite another…

Ms. Carlisle kept me glued to the pages!  I swore I would not cry, but this story cannot help but bring a healthy dose of tears a few times.  I really enjoy Ms. Carlisle’s writing style. As I’m sure you will agree, she is a wonderfully talented writer.

Marilyn Baron - April 28, 2014 - 12:23 am

I find that reading another author’s book is a great inspiration. First, it clears your mind and then if you love the book you aspire to write one that good. Then you think I’d better get back to writing my own book. Reading books is the best thing an author can do besides writing.

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 8:31 am

Marilyn, I agree that it’s fun to read a friend’s work. Your books also inspire me to write better. Thanks for stopping by.

Pam Asberry - April 28, 2014 - 9:08 am

And to piggyback onto what Marilyn said, I can’t think of a better author to read than Susan Carlisle. Go, both of you!

Connie Gillam - April 28, 2014 - 10:16 am

Reading a good book always inspires me to write. And what better author than our own, Susan Carlisle.

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 10:25 am

Hi Marilyn, My first comment to you hasn’t posted yet. I agree with you. By the way, your great books inspire me to write.

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 10:26 am

Pam, Absolutely! Thank you for commenting. Have a wonderful week!

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 10:28 am

Connie, Congratulations on The 5th Realm!! So glad you commented. Have a fantastic week!

Piper - April 28, 2014 - 10:36 am

Hi,

Susan is awesome! And I do find that reading does help me too whenever I get the blues about my stuff. Just helps to kick me in the behind and reach a little bit higher. We all need time to recharge and I know I need to stop beating myself up for that. I’ll come back ready to go and so will you!

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 3:20 pm

Piper, Definitely stop beating yourself up about taking a rest. I figure my body and brain know when I need to rest. I’m for paying attention to them. When you get ready, sit down and the words will flow to the paper!

Carol Burnside - April 28, 2014 - 4:36 pm

Reading Susan is a great way to relax, enjoy and be inspired.

Susan Carlisle - April 28, 2014 - 8:51 pm

Awwwww Maxine. You made my day. What a nice surprise and high praise. I look forward to reading your book soon.

Maxine Davis - April 28, 2014 - 9:22 pm

Carol, You are so right! Of course, I also enjoy reading you!

Walt Mussell - April 28, 2014 - 11:30 pm

There are times when taking a break and reading just does me good.

Maxine Davis - April 29, 2014 - 8:58 am

Susan, my pleasure. You are a very, very good writer!

Maxine Davis - April 29, 2014 - 8:58 am

I know, Walt. Some days too are meant to be reading days, like today with all the rain and my tendency to fall asleep. Thanks for stopping by.

Sandy Elzie - April 29, 2014 - 5:33 pm

Hi Maxine,
Thank you so much for featuring one of our great writers! I love to read Susan’s books….especially since there’s always a hunky guy and great book covers.

As for your book, I can’t wait to read it. Good luck!

Debbie Kaufman - April 30, 2014 - 9:59 am

Hey Maxine, I’m late to the party, as usual :) I find that a good reading binge really recharges me to write. But I understand about eternal revisions–I reworked my first way too many times! I still have that tendency, LOL!
And I love Susan’s books too!