Moratorium on Weddings

By Susan Carlisle

hair
I have placed a moratorium on weddings in my house. We just had one last week, and I have another son on the verge of proposing (I think) but I’m going to say no to the wedding even though I would like to see him married and I like the girl he is interested in.

So why the moratorium?

It’s because every time we have a wedding, which being the family of the bride or the groom costs a good deal of money but that isn’t even the problem. The real issue is that my husband and I plan financially for the wedding cost but not for what happens afterwards.

When my daughter got married almost five years ago on the way home from the reception the transmission went out in my car. We had to buy a new one. Those were many dollars we didn’t have after paying for a wedding.

The day after my son’s wedding I was washing some tablecloths and my husband asked, “Do you smell something burning?” We looked up to find smoke hanging across my kitchen ceiling. My washer was pronounced dead by the repairman. So what did I have to buy? That’s right, a new washer. Bucks I didn’t have. Wait, it gets better.

A week to the day after the wedding my laptop goes out. Dead too. I write for a living. Have a book due at the end of the month, and new book contract for a nonfiction book and no computer. Left no choice I had to go buy a laptop.

So I have placed a moratorium on weddings until I have enough money not only to pay for the wedding needs but for whatever disaster befalls us after the wedding. I would have said lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place but I’ve already seen that proven to be wrong.

Have you ever had a time that you said “Whew! We got through that.” only to have something else happen?

Next month I’ll share pictures of what turned out to be a beautiful wedding.

Carol Burnside - June 3, 2014 - 1:12 am

Oh,Susan, that picture is priceless! I can’t wait to hear all about the wedding (and the possible wedding). We have a lot of catching up to do.

As for the uh-oh’s piling up, I just figure that they’ll come in three’s and sometimes I’m pleasantly surprised.

Marilyn Baron - June 3, 2014 - 2:06 am

Is that what I have to look forward to? My daughter is getting married next year and I hope nothing unexpected happens before, during or after the wedding.

Connie Gillam - June 3, 2014 - 8:42 am

I’m afraid to comment. Something bad may happen.

Looking forward to the wedding pictures.

Sandy Elzie - June 3, 2014 - 8:48 am

Susan, I’m proud to call you a friend. (we’re alike ….pulling our hair out…lol )

The only incident after a wedding was with my youngest. It was a military wedding with military groomsmen. One of them accidently left his airline ticket on the hotel counter when he checked out and we got a frantic call from our daughter saying he couldn’t board & didn’t have enough time to drive back 35 minutes to the hotel to get it & return. Hubby made the trip from the hotel to the airport in just under 20 minutes (in our Trans Am). He said it was like Moses parting the REd Sea…everyone just got out of his way and a bubble of protection hid him from the highway patrol. They held the plane door open until the last possible moment and the young airman made his flight.

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 9:37 am

Carol,
I thought the picture rather captured the moment. It does come in threes. I guess I’m due for another one. See you soon.

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 9:40 am

Marilyn.
The wedding went well. We only a two glitches. No fishes for the table center pieces. That wasn’t really a big deal. The other was much bigger. The morning of the wedding the grand son pulled a hot iron down on his arm. Third degree burns and a trip to the doctor. He made it to the wedding but wasn’t his lively self.

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 9:41 am

Connie,
I know what you mean.

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 9:43 am

Sandy,
I would have liked to have been on that wild ride with your husband especially in a Trans Am. I bet the airman was proud to see his ticket.

Tamara LeBlanc - June 3, 2014 - 2:49 pm

I’m still laughing from that picture…HILARIOUS, but your issue, not so hilarious. Grrrrr, I bet you’ve been ripping hair out for weeks now :)
I can’t wait to see next weeks pics of the beautiful wedding <3
Hope your moratorium (I had to look that word up *giggle* ) ends soon!
have a great week,

Walt Mussell - June 3, 2014 - 8:20 pm

Susan, we’re doing our basement. Don’t scare me like this (says the person who suddenly needed a new control board for his attic HVAC). :-)

Pam Asberry - June 3, 2014 - 8:35 pm

Oh, my. But they say bad things happen in threes. If that’s the case, you should be on easy street moving forward! Thanks for the laughs!

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 11:23 pm

Tamera,
My husband asked, “You’re going to use that picture on the internet?” It is pretty bad but it shows exactly how I feel. Thanks for stopping in.

SUsan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 11:24 pm

Walt,
I feel you pain. Good luck on the basement.

Susan Carlisle - June 3, 2014 - 11:25 pm

Pam,
If I don’t laugh I will cry!

Maxine Davis - June 4, 2014 - 3:37 pm

Susan, I’m a day late reading this, but (and I apologize) I had to laugh. I love your picture!

Debbie Kaufman - June 5, 2014 - 8:47 pm

So do you need an exorcism or a curse broken so you can anticipate a better after-wedding experience next time?

Sia Huff - June 5, 2014 - 9:09 pm

Susan, Three times is the charm. Nothing bad will happen after your 3rd child gets married. Wishing all your children happy lives and you and your hubby a fuller pocketbook.