Rest Is Not Idleness

By Pam Asberry

Toes

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.

~ John Lubbock

It was a busy academic year. I made a couple of final pushes last week, submitting two manuscripts into the Unpublished Maggie Awards contest and hosting the second of two student piano recitals. Now, I have just a handful of make-up lessons left to teach this week and my summer vacation begins. Seven relatively unstructured weeks with just a smattering of piano lessons and the rest of my time my own to spend however I choose!

Well, sort of. Because the fact is after one becomes a grown-up there really is no such thing as summer vacation. Just because I won’t be teaching as much doesn’t mean I am absolved of all responsibility. The piano must be practiced and the daily writing habit needs to continue. The body must be exercised regularly and meals need to be prepared. And my home is practically begging for decluttering, deep cleaning, and minor repairs.

Yes, my summer to-do list is rather daunting, and I fully intend to check most of the items off before school starts again in August. But what I realized on Sunday – a day spent napping, reading, and napping some more – is that I am utterly exhausted from the rigors of the past months. I need to give these weary bones and this addled brain some time to rest and recharge. Towards that end, I created a separate “have-fun” list, where I will check off such activities as bubble baths, lunch and shopping with friends, reading/beading/knitting for pleasure, and naps – lots of naps! All work and no play makes Pam a dull girl. And this girl is ready to shine.

What do you have on your summer have-fun list?

Blog: http://pamasberry.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pamasberry
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pamasberry
Etsy: http://etsy.pamasberry.com
Studio: http://asberryschoolofmusic.com

Susan Carlisle - June 17, 2014 - 7:33 am

I try to get a few days at the lake or on the beach just to sit and read a book. Or close my eyes and just let my mind wondered. Sounds like you have a great summer planned.

Marilyn Baron - June 17, 2014 - 7:58 am

You’re absolutely right. You have to have some decompression time to rest, read, stare at the ocean, whatever relaxes you. I find that I get my most creative ideas during those times.

On a different note, I just returned from a vacation and now I feel like I need a rest.

Debbie Kaufman - June 17, 2014 - 8:01 am

Got to refill that well! There is so much value to taking time to renew ourselves!

Piper - June 17, 2014 - 9:01 am

I have found the decompression time is very important. I am working, but I took it very easy on the few weeks that I had between school terms. As Debbie says, refilling the well is so important! Thanks for a great post, Pam!

Connie Gillam - June 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

I need to decompress more. I feel guilty when I take a day to do nothing but read. Working fulltime forces me to squeeze writing into the nooks and crannies of time that I have left. Also if I’m not writing then I’ll have to clean. Yuck!

Tamara LeBlanc - June 17, 2014 - 12:38 pm

Hi there!
I’m a SUCKER for the beach. I LOVE, love, love the sand and surf. When I go to the beach I wake up early and make sure I’m out there with the rising of the sun and the fisherman. I enjoy the sound of the waves and seabirds. I live for the sun on my face and the crisp blue and turquoise horizon.
That’s my idea of rest. That’s my favorite way to relax and recharge.

Have a great day!

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:26 pm

That all sounds great, Susan. Some of my best ideas come around when I just close my eyes and let my imagination run. Thanks for the reminder!

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:26 pm

I know that feeling all too well, Marilyn. Sometimes it takes me weeks to get around to unpacking my suitcase, LOL!

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:27 pm

It’s SO obvious, Deb. And SO easy to forget!

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:28 pm

I am glad you managed to squeeze in some downtime, Piper. Thanks for your comments!

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:29 pm

Isn’t it RIDICULOUS to feel guilty for spending a day immersed in a great book, Connie? Let’s make a pact to feel downright virtuous the next time we do so! :-)

Pam Asberry - June 17, 2014 - 2:30 pm

My brother and his wife moved to Tampa this spring, Tamara. I should probably add another long weekend at the beach to my “have-fun” list. The beach has exactly the same restorative effect on me!

Carol Burnside - June 17, 2014 - 6:37 pm

I’m with Tamara on the beach scene. Love it for recharging, but I haven’t seen a beach in a long while.

Walt Mussell - June 17, 2014 - 9:21 pm

I have a little break before my younger son starts football and my older son starts marching band. One month left.

Sandy Elzie - June 18, 2014 - 10:06 am

Hi Pam,
My summer is crammed with short outings, a trip to Colorado Springs, a trip to Florida, and I’m releasing four e-books.
July is Dad Next Door and Book One in the Georgia Hearts Series…Amanda. Then in August Book Two…Jess and in September will be Book Three…Katie Ann. Promotion, promotion, promotion.

Pam Asberry - June 18, 2014 - 2:20 pm

Maybe you need to plan a beach adventure, Carol!

Pam Asberry - June 18, 2014 - 2:20 pm

Summer vacation gets shorter and shorter even for the kids, Walt!

Pam Asberry - June 18, 2014 - 2:21 pm

Whoa, you are a busy lady, Sandy! Good luck with everything!

Sia Huff - June 18, 2014 - 8:16 pm

Recharge? Sounds goods, Pam. I’ve been so busy lately. Too busy, but there’s so much to do right now. Maybe in the fall I can take a break. Have a relaxing summer.

Pam Asberry - July 1, 2014 - 5:49 pm

I understand, Sia. I certainly hope life does afford you the opportunity to take a break soon though!