Where in the World are the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales–part 4

By Piper Huguley

My first author meet and greet.  Notice the empty space before me...that

My first author meet and greet. Notice the empty space before me…that’s where the candy should go….

Travel can be bumpy at times. This year’s Romance Slam Jam would take place in the wondrous city of New Orleans. There were four, count them, four conferences (both academic and fiction writing in NOLA this year.

I was meant to go.

So I went to the first conference of the year.  I had a great time, meeting all kinds of wonderful people, talking about books, having fun with my roomie. The hotel was right by the airport. To save money to pay for a cab to go into New Orleans, we used the airport shuttle to take us (for free) to Dooky Chase’s in the airport and stuffed ourselves with gumbo, po’ boys and all kinds of NOLA specialties–and desserts.  We happily ate bread pudding all weekend long.

The organizers of the conference set aside Friday night to rent buses to take us to downtown New Orleans and see the typical touristy sights.  And we prepared to go out. I recall an attendee told us not to go out.  We did not listen.

And the monsoon came. I have never seen rain like that.  I now understand what happened in Hurricane Katrina in an intimate and new way.

Even the locals had to admit that was a nasty storm.  We got to go across the street from the bus to the Harrah’s. And back again.  There was no way anyone could go anywhere else without getting drenched and defeated knocked by that storm.

So here I am in the aftermath of the previous day’s storm at the Author Meet and Greet.  My first one.  The one where my roomie and I didn’t know enough to have candy.  Still, everyone was so kind in our naive and candyless state, no one made fun of us and I’m terribly grateful to all of the Slam Jam attendees for that.  Ask anyone at my college–I’m the one with the candy…..

I’ve got to get back to New Orleans–soon.  And what did I learn while I was there?  Always bring candy. And the  HEA?

I’m an author!! The Lawyer’s Luck  is now available as an e-book for Kindle–only $.99! Other platforms coming soon!

headshot bwPiper G  Huguley is the author of “Migrations of the Heart,” a five-book series of inspirational historical romances set in the early 20th century featuring African American characters. Book one in the series, A Virtuous Ruby won the Golden Rose contest in Historical Romance in 2013 and is a Golden Heart finalist in 2014. Book four in the series, A Champion’s Heart, was a Golden Heart finalist in 2013. Book one in her new 19th century historical series, The Preacher’s Promise, in the “Home to Milford College” series was a semi-finalist in Harlequin’s So You Think You Can Write contest and will be self-published in summer 2014.

She blogs about the history behind her novels at http://piperhuguley.com. She lives in Atlanta, Georgia with her husband and son.

Twitter: @writerpiper

Facebook: Piper Huguley

Marilyn Baron - June 27, 2014 - 7:27 am

Piper,
What a great story. Glad you had fun at your conference. Good luck with your new book. I remember our last signing. I think I bought too much candy. Then you have to be tempted not to eat it till the next signing.

Piper - June 27, 2014 - 9:24 am

Oh! It’s hard to win either way isn’t it Marilyn? And it’s the time of year where it’s a few too many weeks for school to start again to give it to the students…*sigh* Thank you for the good wishes and for stopping by!

sandra Elzie - June 27, 2014 - 1:39 pm

Hi Piper,
Thanks so much for sharing with us this month…I’ve enjoyed every single post.

I love New Orleans and can’t wait to visit again….and NCIS is filming a series there!!!! Yeah !!

Walt Mussell - June 27, 2014 - 3:42 pm

Piper, I feel for you on getting drenched. Congrats on your new release.

Pam Asberry - June 27, 2014 - 6:25 pm

Yay Piper! It sounds like you had a grand adventure. Keep it up! I’m off to download your book right now!

Piper Huguley - June 27, 2014 - 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words Sandra. I can’t wait to really visit either!

Piper Huguley - June 27, 2014 - 7:53 pm

Walt,
It’s been almost 2 months later and those shoes just dried out the other day. Amazing. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by!

Piper Huguley - June 27, 2014 - 7:54 pm

Pam, it was a grand adventure! You are absolutely right! Thank you so much for downloading The Lawyer’s Luck and for stopping by!

Tanya - June 27, 2014 - 11:02 pm

Hi, Piper! I just looked up your novella on Amazon. Congratulations on being in the top ten in the different reading lists! So happy for you!

Love the article about the candy.

Have a great weekend.

Piper Huguley - June 28, 2014 - 7:33 am

Thank you Tanya! I appreciate it. And now you too know about the candy so you won’t look like me at your first meet and greet or signing! Thanks for coming by!

Maxine Davis - June 28, 2014 - 9:49 am

Piper, I’m sure it was a weekend you won’t forget. Congratulations on being in the 10 ten!It soundsd like yo had a good time anyway. Of course what’s not to like about po’boy sandwiches and bread pudding. I think I would have been just fine.

Piper - June 30, 2014 - 8:45 am

I did have a great time, Maxine. It was all awesome. And a lesson well learned! Thank you for your kind words and for commenting!

Tamara LeBlanc - June 30, 2014 - 12:55 pm

I’m so sorry that you were rained on, but I’m so glad you got a chance to go to such a wonderful conference!
Congrats on being in the TOP 10!!!! YAY! And on your first author meet and greet!!
have a great afternoon,

Sia Huff - June 30, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Hi Piper,
Congratulations on your first meet and greet. Candyless or not, sounds like a wonderful experience. So sorry you got rained out of the tour – but – at least you have a great reason to go back.
Thanks for sharing your travel experience with us!

Piper - July 1, 2014 - 8:43 am

I agree, Tamara, it was a wonderful conference experience. Thank you for the reminder and your kind words as well! :)

Piper - July 1, 2014 - 8:44 am

I never thought of it that way Sia! It is a good reason to go back! Thank you for your insightful comments!

Susan Carlisle - July 2, 2014 - 10:50 am

I love New Orleans. I’ve been a number of times for a number of reasons. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.