Dining at Chez Publix

By Marilyn Baron

photo (2)Chez Publix

Last month, my sister and I were guests on a radio show in Jacksonville talking about our new musical Memory Lane. I wanted to treat my sister to a nice lunch since she had driven me around the city and I stayed with her for several days before we went to my condo in Palm Coast.

When we arrived at the condo, she was starving and I needed groceries. So we went to European Village and looked around. It was Monday. Nothing was open. Then we went to an Italian restaurant I like and they were closed—For Good.

Meanwhile, my sister was too hungry to shop. So we walked into Publix and headed for their sub department. We were in line behind a woman and her four young boys. One of the boys was gnawing on a toy, which he proceeded to drop on the floor. Then he started gnawing on the metal bars of the shopping cart. After that, he started gnawing on his mother’s hand.

“He must be teething,” I commented.

“No, he’s a biter,” she answered.

I was afraid my sister was going to turn into a biter if we didn’t eat soon.

After waiting for the woman to order subs for five, we were finally waited on. My sister got a combo meal—a fried chicken strip sub and I got fried chicken. We looked around for a place to sit. The only place was a small white Formica table near the Redbox station,  where you return video tapes. We sat down and apparently chased away a man with a cane although he said we weren’t the reason we left. Maybe he saw the gleam in my sister’s eye when she looked at her sub.

We must have looked pretty pathetic sitting there at a little table eating our lunch at the Publix. A few concerned employees came over and asked if we were all right.

Then an 82-year-old man from Boston sat down. We made conversation.

“Are you from Boston?” my sister asked.

“How did you know?”

“I’m psychic,” replied my sister. “No, really your Patriots T-shirt gave you away. And your accent.”

Then another elderly woman sat down with us. We were starting a trend. Dining at Chez Publix. Whatever, it was one of the best meals we’ve ever eaten and we laughed all the way through it. We even took a selfie.

Then, hunger abated, we could shop for groceries for the condo.

Not exactly a fancy restaurant, but it will probably be one of the best memories my sister and I will have.  If you want to hear the podcast of our radio interview, go to www.marilynbaron.com.

Adam - July 28, 2014 - 9:43 am

Nice story. There’s never a bad atmosphere for eating a Publix sub!

Marilyn Baron - July 28, 2014 - 9:48 am

Adam, you’re right about that. I love Publix subs.

Connie Gillam - July 28, 2014 - 12:44 pm

Hey, Marilyn-

Publix makes the best subs but the deli line is always long-at least at my store. I’m glad you and your sister had a fun time.

I’m also very impressed that you’ve done a musical. You are a multi-talented pair.

Marilyn Baron - July 28, 2014 - 1:25 pm

Connie,

The lines are long. We waited a while for our lunch and then another woman got in line in front of us, but we were so hungry we had no choice but to wait. I also like their fried chicken but it’s better in their Florida stores, in my opinion. I laugh just thinking about that day. The place where we ate was not designed to eat-in like they have at a lot of the Publix stores. It was just a ratty old table sitting there and we had no place else to eat, as we were going to go food shopping right after that.

Piper - July 28, 2014 - 3:43 pm

I love Publix’s deli! A great choice, and so precious that you got to spend the time with your sister!

Carol Burnside - July 28, 2014 - 3:49 pm

Hey, sometimes the best memories are spontaneous ones that arise from a ho-hum day. Love the selfie. You two appear to be having a good time together and that’s what it’s all about.

Marilyn Baron - July 28, 2014 - 4:31 pm

Carol,
Yes, we were having a good time. We couldn’t stop laughing. Thanks for commenting.

sandra Elzie - July 28, 2014 - 5:22 pm

Hi Marilyn,
Great story. These times are what make life fun. There’s a Publix just outside the gate where I live and I love their Deli. They carry Bores Head meats that are the best.

Marilyn Baron - July 28, 2014 - 6:15 pm

Sandy,
I always get their Boar’s Head meat and cheeses. Yes, the little everyday things in life are funny.

Pam Mantovani - July 28, 2014 - 9:00 pm

I love it when something good and special comes from the everyday. It’s also lovely that you and your sister enjoy spending time with each other

Marilyn Baron - July 28, 2014 - 11:07 pm