In-House Author, Sandra Elzie, writing as SANDRA McGREGOR

Must an author always write the same type of book? The books I normally write are sweet, small-town romances…usually with children and even the occasional pet. But every now and then, I get an idea for a romantic suspense. Yes, I know what the experts say…that readers get used to what an author writes and then expects every book to run in a similar vein.  Then if they buy one and it’s different, they’re disappointed…or worse yet, angry.  So what should authors to do with those “different” stories rattling around in our brains?

Well, for me, I write them. They deserve to have their day in the sun…their time in the spotlight. That’s why I have two releases this month that I’m very excited about. One is the second in a small, southern town, family-friendly series and the other is a romantic suspense.

Jessie

JessieBook Two in the Georgia Heart series.

Jessie lost her husband and unborn child two years ago on a rain-slick highway outside of Atlanta. Now, she writes romance novels and does emergency infant care for Henry County. Since each baby takes a piece of her heart with it when it moves to a new home, she’ll only takes a child for two or three days.

Her current baby is a newborn, Missy Alexander, who’s only living relative is Daniel Alexander, a single, undercover DEA agent who’s currently in So. America. He calls to ask her to keep Missy longer. Like a lot of southern women, Jessie finds it impossible to turn away from a baby in need or a man asking for her help.

When his job puts Missy & Jessie in danger, she must trust Daniel to keep them safe. But when he shows up to adopt the baby, she knows her heart is in serious trouble—trouble he might not be willing to handle.

I’d like to take a moment to thank my writing partner, Debbie Kaufman, for the first-hand information on the ins and outs of dealing with a county in Georgia.

Behind Door Two

Behind Door Two

Cecilia Drummond grew up in the shadow of a grandfather and father who started and expanded Drummond International.  Instead of joining that company after college, she chose to prove herself by branching out on her own. When her parents are killed in the corporate jet crash and the will names her as the new president, she closes the door on her hard-earned independence and home and opens door number two…running her family’s business. She moves back to her Chicago family home to run Drummond International and be available to help her twin sister, Darianna.

Later, when an attempt is made on Cecilia’s life, LANCE BROLIN, Chicago detective, is assigned to find a way to get close to her in order to protect her. He soon realizes that she’s a headstrong woman who hears what he says but then does what she thinks best.

Unaware that Lance has been assigned to date her in order to get close and protect her, she allows him into her life and into her heart.

Cecilia discover that someone is stealing money from the company and even though she suspects the vice-president, she wants proof before going to the police. Then her sister is killed. Who can she trust? Is Lance involved? Has she given her heart to a thief? Or worse, a killer?

There, you have a quick peek at the two offerings this month and I hope you download them and enjoy Jessie and Cecilia’s stories.

But wait, that’s not all !

To celebrate the release of two new books, I’m giving away a download of either story above (winner’s choice) to two people who leave a comment today, so don’t miss out on this drawing.

Don’t Miss Out !!

Blog-Jeweled Flash Drive

THEN, pop over to my blog (Life, Love and a Good Book) and leave a comment there. I’m conducting a month-long promotion (August) announcing the two releases and at the end of August, I’ll be drawing a name to win a Jeweled Flash Drive…similar to the one Jessie uses as a romance author!

Marilyn Baron - August 13, 2014 - 12:48 am

Sandy,
Both of your new books sound amazing. Best of luck with the releases. As an author who writes in a variety of genres I say write what you want.

sandra Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 7:23 am

Hi Marilyn,
Thanks for the kind words. I decided a long time ago to go with whatever story is in my head. That way, no characters are left behind in there to slow down the process. :)

Piper - August 13, 2014 - 8:07 am

These sound great Sandy! I love romantic suspense and the premise of Jessie is very intriguing. Good luck!

Walt Mussell - August 13, 2014 - 8:26 am

Sandy, I have no problem with writing different genres and think it’s great that you do it. Someone recently challenged to write a short story totally alien to anything I currently do. It was tough, especially figuring out how to write a new genre but keep it me.

Maxine Davis - August 13, 2014 - 9:20 am

Sandy, Best of luck with your two books. They both sound great. You have really been busy! I, too, say write what you want.

Connie Gillam - August 13, 2014 - 10:39 am

Sandy, I’m all for an author writing in different genres. I do. I think it keeps me fresh. I feel if I love the book, the reader will too.

Good luck on your new releases. They both sound wonderful.

Tamara LeBlanc - August 13, 2014 - 1:35 pm

I’m loving the blurbs for both of your books! So compelling!!
Best wishes to you on many more novels to come,

Trudy - August 13, 2014 - 2:13 pm

Hi Sandy, Both sould really good. I enjoy reading suspense and never get angry when a writer mixes it up a bit. Best of luck to you on your new releases! Dad Next Door was a real feel good one!
Trudy

Linsey Lanier - August 13, 2014 - 2:37 pm

Congrats, Sandy. Those sound like two terrific stories. Best of luck with them. :)

Carol Burnside - August 13, 2014 - 2:59 pm

I’m of the same mind as Marilyn. Write what you want. Best of luck with your new releases, Sandy!

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 4:55 pm

I got the following comment from a fellow writer I met at Nationals in N.Y. a few years ago.

Congrats on your new releases! I hope they become bestsellers! J

Sandy Vink

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 4:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Piper. My first love is Family Friendly, Small Town stories, but a very strong second for me is Romantic Suspense. It’s fun to write. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:00 pm

Hi Walt,

I love that you rose to the challenge of writing “outside your box.” Actually, I think it can be a great training tool…sort of like having to hone down 70,000 to 55,000. It’s all good training.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:01 pm

Hi Maxine,
Thank you so much! And I have to thank all those bossy characters in my head for the amount of work being put out right now. They’re spoiled, I guess…they scream and I write…simple as that. (g)

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Oh, Connie, I so agree with you about loving all my characters…and hoping everyone who reads them loves them just as much. Thanks for commenting.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:05 pm

Hi Tamara,
Hey, lady, I think Jessie is the book for you. lol It has a larger than life DEA agent who arrives on her doorstep looking shaggy (after all, he’s undercover) and she’s drawn to him in spite of the longish hair pulled back in a leather tie.

Thanks for dropping by.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:07 pm

Hey Trudy,
Glad you’re enjoying Dad Next Door…(Trudy was a winner last month of a free download) and thanks for the kind words.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:08 pm

Hi Linsey,
Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Let me know when your next mystery comes out !!

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 5:11 pm

Thanks, Carol. I’ve mixed it up a bit over the years (one Women’s Fiction and one Time Travel, but otherwise I pretty much stay within the two genres of Sweet Contemporary and Romantic Suspense….well, except for the 3-book series about WWII girls raised in Denver Orphan’s Home coming out the first of next year. Some publishing houses calls that era Historical.

Bruce - August 13, 2014 - 7:39 pm

Hey there and congrats on all your new releases. I like that you are able to just write, as you said, whatever is in your head. Good thing I don’t or can’t, the inside of head looks like the aftermath of a Nuclear detonation. Guess that’s why there are people like you out there. Thank God.

Sandy Elzie - August 13, 2014 - 8:12 pm

Hi Bruce, you’re so funny. You should read one of my books sometime…it might surprise you. lol

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.