Welcome AMY PATRICK – author of Channel Twenty Something !!

Blog-Amy DeLuca Author
I’m so excited to be here as a guest chef! On today’s menu… the greatest excuse ever for vegging out and watching movies…

We all have favorite movies and movie scenes. Without fail, my favorite scenes are always filled with emotion. I can’t get them out of my mind and sometimes see them and hear them long after the movie has ended. Oh, the way he looked and sounded when she told him it was over!

One that was memorable to me was The Last Song. I loved the Southern setting, I’m a sucker for Nicholas Sparks, but mostly I loved Liam Hemsworth. Sure, I’m (technically) old enough to be his mama, but the boy can emote! And he happens to be about the age of my New Adult hero character, so he’s perfect. Also, his abs are yummy, and his eyes are gorgeous, but that’s a story for another day. Back to emoting!

A few months ago, when I was struggling to describe how my hero looked at my heroine, the way his face looked, what his body was doing, the way his voice broke, I thought I want him to look like Liam did in that scene of that movie. So I bought a used DVD at Moviestop and watched it. I studied how his eyes changed, the way his voice sounded, what his shoulders and hands were doing in the scene.

The movie, the characters, and the dialogue had nothing to do with the situation in my book, but the feel of it was the same, the emotion I wanted to convey was similar. And who’s better at converting telling—the written word in the form of a script—into showing—facial expressions and body language—than actors? My challenge is to reconstitute that demonstration of emotion back into words in a new situation, new scene, in a fresh new way.

Now I do that regularly. Need to write a bitter, angry retort? Rather than tick off my dear husband, I can go to a movie scene and see in living color what an angry man looks like as his emotions rise—what the veins in his neck are doing, his pupils, the set of his jaw and body. Then I can write my own unique description of what I see and apply it to my own story.
The next time you’re watching a movie when you should be writing, just relax. You’re doing emotional research.

~~~~  Don’t Miss Out On A Chance To Win A Free e-book of CHANNEL TWENTY SOMETHING !! ~~~~

Leave a comment and you just might be the lucky one today !

About the Author:

Amy is a two-time Golden Heart finalist (2013 and 2014) who writes Young Adult fiction as Amy DeLuca and New Adult romance as Amy Patrick.  She lives in Rhode Island with her husband and two sons and actually craves the heat and humidity of Mississippi, where she grew up. She’s been a professional singer and news anchor and currently narrates audio books as well as working as a station host for a Boston TV station.
About her Books:
Blog-Amy-CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING FINAL COVER-1
CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING -
blurb:
22-year-old Heidi Haynes is almost one year into her “real life”. She has her first TV reporting job, her first apartment, and a comfortable relationship with her college sweetheart. But for some reason she’s not as eager to talk about walking down the aisle as he is.

Heidi secretly longs for big cities, big-market breaking news, and real independence from her way-too-close-by helicopter parents. Problem is, the last time she left the security of home for new places and new people, things didn’t go so well. Disastrously, in fact, and she came running back to a local college and a “safe” boyfriend.

Aric Serrano is definitely not safe.

He’s six-feet-four-inches of missing-Hemsworth-brother-hotness and plans to stay in small-market-Southern-Hell just long enough to grab a cup of coffee and put together a kick-ass “escape tape”. He’ll serve his one-year contract, then he’s taking off for a higher rung on the TV sports ladder—alone—the way he likes it. Then he meets his new co-anchor.

Heidi would be so much more comfortable if she could simply ignore Aric. He’s just her type—the type she’s so careful to avoid these days. But that becomes impossible when she’s forced to work closely with him on the weekend newscast. Now the attraction between them is growing even faster than the ratings, and what happens behind the scenes is the real news.
CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING is the first book in a series of New Adult romances about twenty-somethings entering the world of broadcasting. It’s a standalone novel.
The next book in the series, STILL YOURS- A 20 SOMETHING NOVEL, tells the story of Heidi’s friend and fellow newsie Mara and will be
released September 10th

Blog-Amy-STILL YOURS FINAL COVER

You can connect with Amy at:

website: http://www.amypatrickbooks.com/    Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmyPatrickBooks

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AmyPatrickAuthor

CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING is available at:

Amazon    Barnes & Noble/Nook    iTunes    Kobo    All Romance

sandra Elzie - August 27, 2014 - 6:01 am

Hi Amy,
I’ve never read New Adult, but yours sounds so interesting that I’m going to get one and read it. I have a granddaughter that’s approaching that age dynamic and I think she’d enjoy them also. Guess it’s time for grandma to start gifting her with some books. :)

Thanks for being with us.

Marilyn Baron - August 27, 2014 - 6:37 am

Amy,
What an interesting idea to do emotional research and apply it to the show vs. tell in our books. I love the way your covers tie your books together. Thanks for being our guest today.

Piper - August 27, 2014 - 7:31 am

Hello my Lucky Dreamweaver sister! Welcome to the PFHT blog! So happy to see your continued success and I am looking forward to the release of your second book which will make you multi-pubbed. Exciting! Big kudos to you on your research method. I think everyone needs a little more of a Hemsworth brother in life (I’ll take both Chris and Liam, thank you). It’s for the writing! Great job and please visit again soon!

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 7:32 am

Thank you Marilyn! The 3rd book has a blonde on the cover, but still the same look, and it takes place in Atlanta! Thanks for having me today. I love your blog. :)

And Sandra, I’m completely flattered that you’d read CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING! I hope you enjoy dipping your toe into New Adult. Thank you for being a wonderful host and making it easy and fun.

Julie Mulhern - August 27, 2014 - 8:06 am

Amy,

Great post! No one should ever give me an excuse to watch movies. I could do it all day. Research? Does that mean all night too?

Congratulations on a phenomenal book! Can’t wait to read the next one.

Gail Hart - August 27, 2014 - 8:20 am

Amy – Oh yay about the blonde on the next cover! I love blonde heroes. *Drools on keyboard*

I never thought of watching movies for body language cues. I’ll have to try it.

Gail

Connie Gillam - August 27, 2014 - 8:40 am

Welcome, fellow YARWA sister! Never knew when we rode in together from the airport in San Antonio you’d be blogging on PFHT. Small world.

Your books sound great. Writing emotion is always a challenge for me. I see it and feel it but getting it onto the page is difficult. I’ll have to watch more movies.

And yes, the Helmsworth boys are easy on the eyes.

Shelly Alexander - August 27, 2014 - 9:08 am

Great blog, Amy! Can’t wait to read the next installment, STILL YOURS. Keep the great stories coming!

Miranda Liasson - August 27, 2014 - 9:13 am

I love this idea!!! A lot of writing comes from within but there are times when you need to see things in real life (or movie life) in order to feel them and describe them. Looking forward to Mara’s story, Amy!

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 10:09 am

Hi Gail! Thank you for coming by today my Lucky sister!

And Connie– how true!!! After seeing you in SA I’m running into you everywhere it seems. So honored to be on your blog today. :)

Hi Miranda– you’re right– the stories and ideas and scenes and actual feelings have to come from inside us, but movies help me visualize the details I sometimes might not imagine. Thank you for stopping by and for sharing on Facebook and Twitter today- love my Luckies.

Lenora Bell - August 27, 2014 - 10:16 am

Yay! So excited for you, Amy. Love your concept, the blurb, and the super cute and sexy cover!

Carrie Padgett - August 27, 2014 - 12:35 pm

You are so right! Lately I’ve been studying Lauren Graham in Gilmore Girls for how to deliver funny lines that actually ironic and full of emotion. Thanks for the post!

marymarvella - August 27, 2014 - 12:54 pm

Amy, I love the idea or watching scenes over and over to catch nuances of emotional reactions for certain characters.I’m gonna have to torture myself and watch Highlander the series to study Adrian Paul’s expressions and body (body language, too). I can see your books will be a hit!

Susan Carlisle - August 27, 2014 - 2:32 pm

Thanks for joining us today. I love your book cover. Watching a good movie is a wonderful way to get a description of how a person’s emotions show when they are mad, happy, sad. Thanks for the great tip.

Maxine Davis - August 27, 2014 - 2:43 pm

Amy, Welcome to PFHT. I am going to have to read a New Adult book. They sound wonderful. I enjoy watching a movie and seeing the hero’s reaction to an unexpected whisper and smile from a naive-looking heroine. By the way, your author picture is beautiful.

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 3:23 pm

Thank you Julie! That means so much to me, and you now have express permission to research movies all night long. :)

Thank you Piper for having me on this wonderful blog and for sharing the Hemsworth-love.

Thanks Shelly, Lenora, and Carrie for bringing out the Dreamweavers awesomeness today. Love you!

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 3:26 pm

Susan, you and I are obviously long lost relatives, as my name was Amy Carlisle for the first 25 years of my life! My folks are from Mississippi– you? Thank you for the cover compliment!

And Maxine- thank you for the warm welcome to the blog. AND for the author photo comment. My sister took that in my dad’s backyard in MS in August– it was about 101 outside, so don’t zoom in– there may be a “glow” visible on my top lip!

McCall Hoyle - August 27, 2014 - 4:18 pm

Amy, I love the post, and I love seeing my friend and critique partner on PFHT’s. I know whoever wins the drawing will love CHANNEL 20 SOMETHING as much as I did. As always, your writing advice is amazing. I’m going to line up a movie-thon this weekend and log it as writing time. Hugs!

Suzanne - August 27, 2014 - 4:32 pm

Great idea, Amy. In my first draft, it’s nothing but: He smirks, she smiles, he grimaces. With each edit, I have to dig deeper, and it’s so hard to find fresh ways of expression visceral responses. I try to get into the character’s skin, but I think it would be sooo helpful to actually watch an emotional reaction on the screen and pick up the cues from that. Clever girl!

Denny S. Bryce - August 27, 2014 - 5:06 pm

Like you take on using actors tand movies to help visualize character. Very cool. And congrats on new book!

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 5:12 pm

Mary– I can see that you are truly devoted to your craft. ;) Enjoy that Highlander research– I’ve been doing some of my own with that series LOL!

And McCall my sweetie, it’s a honor to be here on our friend Sia’s stomping grounds. Thank you for making time to come by today! Wish I could do that movie marathon with you– CP sleepover!

AE Jones - August 27, 2014 - 7:07 pm

Amy! Thanks for the wonderful idea. I struggle with expressing emotions too in my writing and now I can pull out my trusty DVD/DVR and see these in living color! AE

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 27, 2014 - 8:14 pm

Hi Denny! Thank you for stopping in to comment and for the congrats. :)

Darcy Woods - August 27, 2014 - 9:04 pm

AMY! My sweet and talented, Lucky girl, what a fantastic idea!!! I Google stuff all the time (admittedly, i just googled “how to make out” bc my character did–I SWEAR), so why not do it for emoting? It’s brilliant. Suddenly doing my homework is lookin’ up! ;)

Speaking of hot tamales…SO excited for Mara’s story!!!

Leslie Lynch - August 27, 2014 - 9:16 pm

Amy, that’s a WONDERFUL idea for getting body language right! I had never thought of it.

Looking forward to reading Channel 20Something!

Jacqui Nelson - August 28, 2014 - 1:20 am

Great blog, Amy! I love watching movies and i know I’ll love watching them even more if I can call it research. There goes my weekend :)

Sia Huff - August 28, 2014 - 1:28 pm

Oh Amy, I can’t believe I’m a day late. Helping out a friend at her store and lost track of the days. Love, love,love your research technique. And love re-watching DVD’s. It’s a no brainer.
Channel 20 Something sounds great. I’m going to start reading a new genre. :)
Wishing you continued success, my dear, and many, many sales.

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 28, 2014 - 3:53 pm

Suzanne, AE, Darcy, Leslie, and Jacqui– the GH sisterly love is here with the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales today! Thank you so much for coming by and sharing my movie-watching-excuse. :) Love you all.

And Sia– so glad to see you no matter WHEN it is! And if I can lure you to the *sweeter* side of New Adult, even better. Thank you for welcoming me to your blog today and for the good wishes. :)

Sandy Elzie - August 28, 2014 - 4:32 pm

Amy,
I bought your book yesterday and started reading. I’m enjoying it already!

Carol Burnside - August 28, 2014 - 4:59 pm

What a neat concept! And your covers are eye-catching and reflect the genre well. I’ll have to check them out more closely. Wishing you lots of success with your series.

Amy Patrick/Amy DeLuca - August 28, 2014 - 7:34 pm

Oh Sandy- that thrills me! Thank you!

sandra Elzie - September 2, 2014 - 11:55 am

The Winner of a free download of Channel Twenty Something is AE Jones. Congratulations !!